Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Cerambycinae
 Callichromatini
 Costa Rica: Xystrochroma chloropa?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pierre Posted - 22/02/2015 : 17:20:12

166.54 KB

I have some difficulties with this female specimen, 30mm, from Costa Rica. According to Martins' keys, it should belong to Callichroma (hind femora depressed laterally).
Body all over dark with strong blue highlights on head, pronotum and legs. Pronotum covered with a uniform black velvet on the disk, flat without ridges; brilliant on sides and basally. Elytra dull, the black tomentum forming an indistinct band. A narrow sutural stripe remains brilliant, colour here lighter green, the rest dark blue with weak greenish reflections on the sides.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dryobius Posted - 22/02/2015 : 20:01:20
there are two photos of X. chloropa. Giesberts (1993) mentions the fact that there are green, blue and violet metallic variations.
Pierre Posted - 22/02/2015 : 19:40:58
I have a paper from Giesbert on Callichromatini, not 1993 but 1987 (The Coleopterists Bulletin 41 (1): additions to the Callichromatini of Central America) with a key to genera and description of a new species of Xenochroma. In this paper Giesbert mentionnes tibialis nova, viridipes, chloropa new comb., clypeatum, bouvieri and wilkei.
The description of chloropa could fit quite well. On the other hand the specimen shown on Larry Bezarks site does not ressemble a lot to what I have before me.
dryobius Posted - 22/02/2015 : 19:17:44
I would look at Xystrochroma, maybe X. chloropa (Bates).

Do you have Giesbert's key (1993) to Central American Callichromatini? It might be out-of-date, but possibly might work better.

These species can be very difficult at times.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page