Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Cerambycinae
 Clytini
 China, Guangxi: Demonax

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Vitali Posted - 07/12/2013 : 20:17:05

75.11 KB

I wanted to share my doubt concerning this beetle coming from Guangxi, China. It might be identified as Demonax bimaculicollis (Schwarzer, 1925) distributed in Taiwan. For example, it corresponds fully to the first two photos placed under this name by Larry Bezark here.

On the other hand, I noticed that the beetles collected in Taiwan and shown in the photos placed by Taiwanian traders here and here look different, like also the third beetle in Larry’s page. Beside a peculiar pubescence pattern in pronotum also the shape of the pronotum looks different. It is stronger narrowed apically than towards the base, and this way it is widest in the hind third in beetles from Taiwan.

And then I found the photo of the holotype, description and differential diagnosis of D. simillimus Gressitt,1939 here.

In particular, it is stated “Differs from Demonax bimaculicollis (Schwarzer) in having the prothorax longer, less globular and granulose instead of reticulate, the elytra longer, with darker markings and a broader postmedian pale band, and the posterior legs longer.”

May it be that my beetle and the first two shown by Larry are in fact D. simillimus?

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page