Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Cerambycinae
 Clytini
 Camerun: Xylotrechus fragilis?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pierre Posted - 07/01/2010 : 21:39:52

Clytini spec.,

Cameroon, 12 mm.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Francesco Posted - 09/01/2010 : 23:01:25
Identifying these species only from original descriptions is very difficult! The previously mentioned species is very stout (according to the drawing), while the present one seems to be a true Xylotrechus.
So, confronting such specimen with other ones of the Web in order to understand its variability, I think that it is Xylotrechus fragilis Jordan, 1903, just from Cameroon.
The original description corresponds better to the linked specimens, since the median grey band seems described as narrower and the lateral spots should be grey rather than orange.
The other species from Cameroon (X. socius Jordan, 1894) should have red femurs.
Francesco Posted - 08/01/2010 : 12:00:51
This seems to correspond to Xylotrechus x-maculatus Jordan, 1894, described from specimens coming from Kuilu (Kwilu, Zaire), together with the following species in this paper (p. 187, Fig. 14).
The description is fairly difficult to understand, since the pattern has been described "as negative" (grey and orange with black bands)...
Later, this species was considered as a younger synonym of Calanthemis gabonicus (Thomson, 1858) by Aurivillius (1912) (p. 374); however, it has been not recorded from Cameroon yet even if it is likely present there too.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page