Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Cerambycinae
 Stenopterini / Hyboderini
 Croatia, Stenopterus: rufus

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jacek Mazepa Posted - 29/06/2015 : 14:09:54

148.89 KB

Please help in identification.
This beetle got as Stenopterus flavicornis.
According to me it is mauritanicus. However, it comes from Croatia - is it possible?
Thank you for any help.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jacek Mazepa Posted - 30/06/2015 : 09:23:35
Thank you very much for your help.
Then I type on the label S. rufus ssp.rufus.
Greetings - Jacek
Francesco Posted - 30/06/2015 : 09:14:47
According to Bahillo, who fucused his research on the Spanish Stenopterus, all examined characters, included the armatures of the internal sac, entry in the variability of S. rufus.

According to Sama, the species are geographically separated and differ in the colour of the limbs and in the conformation of the sclerites of the internal sac. However, the author did not explain which is the difference but furnished some incomprehensible drawings.

Lately, I will add both maps and the mentioned drawings.

quote:
Originally posted by Jacek Mazepa

ps. have You this article in pdf Bahillo?

Unfortuntely, I do not (it was published in Lambillionea), I read Sama's critics about.
Jacek Mazepa Posted - 30/06/2015 : 09:04:04
Thank you very much for your help. Everything indicates that this S.rufus.
In Spain there S.rufus and S.mauritanicus - how to distinguish a clear rufus variety of mauritanicus? - "Mauritanicus is probably a subspecies of rufus (even a chromatic forms, According To Bahillo, 1992" ..... and that's it
Again, thank you - Jacek
ps. have You this article in pdf Bahillo?
Francesco Posted - 30/06/2015 : 08:52:31
According to me, it is S. rufus.
Notice that mauritanicus is probably a subspecies of rufus (even a chromatic form, according to Bahillo, 1992).
In fact, Sama (1955) did not find morphological characters between both species, except for the colour of the limbs (actually, rather variable in southern populations) and some weak features of the pubescence.
Jacek Mazepa Posted - 30/06/2015 : 08:32:48
Pierre and Francesco - thank you very much for Yours help.
"Flavicornis has only 2 swellings on the pronotal disc. This beetle shows a third central swelling. S. mauritanicus is restricted this southern Spain and northern Africa"
..... well, and that is a problem. These 2 swellings on the pronotal disc characteristic S. mauritanicus. It certainly is not S.flavicornis - has a clear 3 swellings on the pronotal disc.
Include a picture of the whole insect. Maybe this will help?
I cordially greet - Jacek

154.27 KB
Pierre Posted - 29/06/2015 : 21:57:16
Flavicornis has only 2 swellings on the pronotal disc. This beetle shows a third central swelling.
S. mauritanicus is restricted to southern Spain and northern Africa; could it be an introduced specimen?
The remaining solution would be, and I agree with Francesco in this, a pale form of Stenopterus rufus. I have collected in southern France specimen which show a very reduced dark apex and yellow legs. In my opinion the colours of Stenopterus tend to vary a lot.
Jacek Mazepa Posted - 29/06/2015 : 21:10:55
Ok, tomorrow I will photograph the entire insect.
Thank you very much for your interest.
Jacek
Francesco Posted - 29/06/2015 : 21:04:12
I am not even sure that it is a flavicornis: the elytral basis should be largely black.
According to me, it is an immature female of rufus.
Could you please insert a picture with the whole body?

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page