Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Generalities
 Scientific questions
 Prosopocera

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Riana Posted - 01/12/2016 : 14:06:39
Prosopocera (Alphitopola) capensis Breuning, 1936 vs Prosopocera (Alphitopola) trimaculata Breuning, 1936
After translating the descriptions of both species (BREUNING S., 1936. Études sur les Lamiaires (Coléop. Cerambycidæ). Troisième Tribu : Prosopocerini Thomson. Novitates Entomologicæ, 3ème supplément (21-29): 157-230, figs 269-371.) the differences seem very slight to me. Are these two species synonyms or am I just missing something in my ignorance

Prosopocera (Alphitopola) capensis Breuning 1936 (translated)

Elongated stature; The frons provided with a small horn in the male. The antennae a quarter (female) or half (male) longer than the body; In the male, the third, fourth and fifth antennae segments (except the apical part) and the basal half of the sixth segment slightly enlarged; Antennae tubers of medium height. The lower lobes of the eyes as long as broad, as long as the cheek. The pronotum provided with a minimal lateral spine, sometimes only indicated by a black nipple; The transverse furrows quite deep, the elytra very elongated, parallel and coarsely punctated; Punctures finer on the apical half.
Reddish brown, covered with a fine yellowish-brown pubescence; A white elongated oval spot on the middle of the pronotum. Each elytron decorated with three white maculae; A half-round at the base between the suture and the humus callus, an elongated rhomboidal on the disc a little before the middle, and a elongated triangular shape on the disc at the apical third; The first and second with a reddish brown nucleus. The underside of the body covered with a fine greyish-brown pubescence; The legs and antennae of a yellowish brown pubescence. Length: 14 mm, ½ to 17 mm. Width 4 mm. ½ to 6 mm.

Prosopocera (Alphitopola) trimaculata Breuning, 1936 (translated)

Very elongated stature; The frons provided with a small horn (male) and finely granulated on its lateral parts. Antennae almost twice as long as the body (male); The third, the fourth and the fifth segment, and the basilar half of the sixth slightly thickened; The antennal tubercles close and elevated. The lower lobes of the eyes are as long as broad, a little shorter than the cheeks. The pronotum adorned with a small black spot instead of the lateral spine; The anterior transverse furrow quite profound, slightly sinuous. The elytra are very elongated, parallel, rather coarsely punctuated after the shoulders, and then finely punctated; punctures touching in the apical third.
Reddish brown, covered with a light brown pubescence; In the middle of the pronotum a white spot; On the inner side of the black lateral spot (located in place of the lateral thorn), a small whitish spot. On each elytron, a whitish triangular spot in the middle of the base, surrounding a small elongated black spot, a large pre-median triangular disc spot, interrupted in the middle by a tiny blackish spot, and a smaller white triangular disc spot at the beginning of the apical quarter; A round black on the lateral edge shortly after the shoulder; The disk of the elytra, between the first and the second white maculae and between the second and the third, is covered with a darker brownish reddish pubescence; The metasternum and posterior hips are covered for the most part with whitish pubescence. Length: 18 mm. Width 5 mm. This species is closest to P. paykulli.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xavier Posted - 09/06/2017 : 18:56:57
Some new holotype pictures of Prosopocera sp. are available here
Capitaine Posted - 01/12/2016 : 16:16:07
While reading the description I can note many differences between the two species (Antennal lenght, cheeks/eyes, pattern, etc...)

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page