Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Generalities
 Scientific questions
 Callichromatini

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Andre Posted - 08/04/2017 : 23:25:30
Hallo Freunde der Cerambycidae.
Seit geraumer Zeit arbeite ich an dem Tribus der Callichromatini, um zu versuchen, die taxonomischen Probleme zumindest teilweise zu lösen und eine Determination zu erleichtern.
In den meisten..... wenn nicht in allen Gattungen dieses Tribus ist eine Determination trotz zum Teil rezenter Revisionen nicht möglich.
Das Studium der Typen und die Zuordnung typischer Exemplare bedarf viel Arbeit und noch mehr Zeit. Zum klären der Variationsbreite bedarf es der Untersuchung etlicher Exemplare.
Zahlreiche Synonyme müssen auf deren Richtigkeit geprüft werden.
Die genitalmorphologische Untersuchung bietet innerhalb der Callichromatini gute Möglichkeiten, die Arten anzusprechen. Sogar ist es möglich, nähere Verwandschaftsverhältnisse deutlich zu machen. Ich möchte hier nicht ins Detail gehen, dazu ist der Anlass dieser Zeilen eigentlich zu traurig.

Das beschreiben neuer Arten der Cerambycidae ist auf Grund ihrer enormen Arten- und Formenvielfalt eine schwierige Sache, sofern man sich dieser mit Enthusiasmus und der nötigen Sorgfalt hingibt.
Zum anderen ist aber auch sehr einfach, vorallem in schwierigen Gattungen neue Arten zu beschreiben. Ich kann hier nur für die Apomecynini und die Callichromatini sprechen. BREUNING hatte kein Problem mit der Beschreibung eines tomentlosen neuen Sybra..... oder eines anderen Lamiini. Die Unsinnigkeit seines Handelns sieht man heute anhand seiner unendlich produzierten Synonyme. Etliche Kollegen haben seeeehr viel Zeit in das Bereinigen der von ihm produzierten taxonomischen Probleme gesteckt und so werden es wohl noch weitere Generationen machen müssen.
Bei den Callichromatini ist im Moment ein ähnlicher Trend zu erkennen. Es werden neue Gattungen beschrieben, da man nicht mehr weiss, in welcher Gattung man denn die Art nun mal schnell beschreiben könnte. Verglichen werden diese dann oft mit Arten, welche auch von meinem Hausmeister als unterschiedliche Art erkannt werden würde.
Die neueste Arbeit ist ein weitere Beweis dieses Trends, doch was kann man tun ?
Warten….. bis sich gewisse Spezialisten ausgetobt haben. Aus Respekt vor deren jahrelanger Arbeit innerhalb der Cerambycidae wäre das vielleicht angebracht. Doch wem hilft das ???
Es wird immer konfuser in vielen Gattungen und irgendwann ist eine Klärung fast nicht mehr möglich.
Vielleicht erkennt ja der ein oder andere die taxonomischen Probleme, welche mit solchen Publikationen erzeugt werden und überlegt sich im Vorfeld, weiteres Material zur Verfügung zu stellen !!! Manchmal ist weniger ,,,,,mehr !
Abschließend möchte ich eine E–Mail, welche ich nach dem Erscheinen seiner neuesten Publikation sendete, zeigen..... diese blieb leider ohne Antwort.

"Hello Eduard
I have see the last paper from you, and I was not happy .
The description from Leptochroma shanxianum and Leptochroma tonkineum after single Females..... now a new masterpiece !
You described Aphrodisium lingafelteri sp.n. and compared this spec. with A. metallicolle.... a quick different Spec. I mean you had this one better compared with A. distinctipes Pic. ..... so you can see, that this is might be the same spec. !
You described Mimochelidonium vietnamicum and give than differences to M. sinense Bentanachs & Drouin, 2013 the smaller size, the colouration morphological differences by the first metatarsal segment. I have specimens from Laos, Vietnam and Yunnan.... with size by 18-25 mm, all more or less green and the compressed first metatarsal segment is by all specimen weakly compressed. The length of this is dependent by the size ! I´m sure..... it is the same Spec. !
You described Polyzonus (Striatopolyzonus) tonkinensis after 3 females. The subgenus Striatopolyzonus after Bentanachs is for me correct..... really a Gen. nov. I have also Spec. from Vietnam, after the coloration the same as the HT from P. tonkinensis, but I have also Spec. from the same place with 1 makel (http://www.cerambycoidea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15995) .... and with two makel...... all new Spec ???????
The group from P. tetraspilotus, inclusiv from P. luteonotatus is in the color very variable..... the description of Females from this group is a desaster. We must also check the Synonyms of P. tetraspilotus and luteonotatus. Polyzonus flavocinctus is also a member of this group ! Joan described a false Spec. in his revision !
Then one loses the pleasure......
I hope for a respective answer......
best wishes...... and a nice weekend, Andre
My weekend is finish "
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xaurus Posted - 10/04/2017 : 00:29:00
First dear Alastor, you are right Breuning had no own collection, he decribed 1000s of species without comparisons, really a brilliant output, but with which consequences --- he confused almost all tribes of Lamiinae, and there are many people today use his determination keys -- simple laughable - they have to much time in their live. You are really underestimate the activities of Breuning, and today maybe we have some reborn. I can tell you a couple of stories told me by colleagues or friends about Breuning, some of that are really funny, but they decide our work within the family Cerambycidae today in many cases, and but this isn't humorous unfortunately.
Second, I support the sentences of Andre in any cases, and I hope anybody can translate his German part in English as well.
And thirdly, many thanks to the administrators like Francesco, Xavier and other for the really important forum platform to give us the possibility to share anything about our beautiful family, and last but not least thanks to all forum members fill this forum with interesting and helpful substances.
Unfortunately, the world is getting stranger and stranger and especially our longhorn beetles science: fake locations - synonymous species / large confusions in Callichromatini and no understanding by our west European colleagues / Slipinsky's & Escalona's taxonomic disaster / Dauber's confusions and posthum paper / Danilevsky's lack of understand the species and subspecies concepts and population descriptions craze / and last but not least our transcendent Turkish colleague etc. ...
Altogether not satisfied, but there is still (maybe) a hope for a serious work in future.
Alastor Posted - 09/04/2017 : 13:48:47
About Breuning, I read somewhere (I do not remember where), that he had no personal reference collection and was working from memory.

Is it right ?

And, with age, would this not explain the last drifts you denounce here?

Despite the rich work he has provided throughout his life, it is quite logical that some of his writings be subject to controversy !

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page