Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Generalities
 Scientific questions
 Euryphagus

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gontran Posted - 09/12/2017 : 16:59:23
About genus Euryphagus. Should be E. pictus (Voet, 1778). Right ?
Not E. maxillosus (Olivier, 1795) ?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gontran Posted - 09/12/2017 : 22:03:26
On parle bel et bien de Johannes Eusebius Voet, 1706 - 1778 ?
Gontran Posted - 09/12/2017 : 21:49:10
Thank you Francesco for your interesting comment.
Francesco Posted - 09/12/2017 : 20:28:47
The problem is that, when a whole publication has been considered unavailable, it should have been "suppressed for nomenclatural purposes by the Commission by use of the plenary power" (ICZN, Art. 8.7.)
Nobody did that for Voet's books.
Moreover, there are a list of suppressed publications; Voet is not present.

The claimed unavailability is based on some trinomina versus a large majority of available and widely used binomial names.

I remind that Linnaeus himself used trinomina, e.g Carabus crux major, then tranformed in Carabus crux-major and Carabus cruxmajor, without problems.

Voet's books have a giant historical value since they are the first illustrated books on worldwide beetles, with scientific names.

In my opinion, this is only a political problem; i.e. Voet does not have have friends in high places, such Dejean, author of a self-published catalogue without descriptions nor drawings (as it occurs to Voet).
Gontran Posted - 09/12/2017 : 18:54:05
Thanks to you. I was confused because of the year of the publication of Voet.
dryobius Posted - 09/12/2017 : 18:40:17
I believe all (or most) of Voet's names were published in a paper (or papers) that did not meet criteria of ICZN. There havebeen numerous notes published about this in the last 10 or 20 years.

Still, some people use names that Voet introduced. A few names have not yet been replaced.

For instance, Batocera tigris Voet is still used but the paper in which Voet described it does not adhere to ICZN guidelines.

Xavier Posted - 09/12/2017 : 17:36:49
Euryphagus maxillosus (Olivier, 1795) is used in this last publication: AMBRUS R. & TICHƯ T., 2017. New and interesting records of the tribe Purpuricenini J. Thomson, 1861 from China and neighbouring countries (Coleoptera, Cerambycidae). Les Cahiers Magellanes (NS) 25.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page