Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Generalities
 Scientific questions
 Dermestidae eradication

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dryobius Posted - 10/04/2019 : 19:27:00
I recently had a shipment of pinned specimens returned to my home. It had been lost by an overseas post office for nearly 4-5 months. After it was found, they returned it to me instead of allowing it to complete its original destination.

Inside the box were several small boxes of pinned specimens. One of these small boxes had about 40 pinned specimens within it. and also, several living adult dermestids and a living larva. The dermestids had destroyed 12 pinned specimens. I immediately put the entire shipment in a large air-tight plastic box along with a generous amount of tissue paper soaked with ethyl acetate. It was more than enough to kill anything alive.

But I don't know if vapors of ethyl acetate will kill dermestid eggs. I hope it does. But also, if any eggs hatch, I want the larvae to die.

Therefore, I ask a question: How long does it take for dermestid eggs to hatch? I would rather leave the specimens in the air-tight box for 1 or 2 months rather than allow them to reproduce. However I do need to re-send the package someday.

From this I also learned that pinned specimens should be shipped inside an air-tight bag so that dermestids can't smell them.

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dryobius Posted - 14/04/2019 : 00:02:03
I don't think my wife will permit that!
Capitaine Posted - 13/04/2019 : 14:50:18
Dear Dan, there is a better way to eradicate these dermestids and which has the advantage of not polluting the environment. It consists in putting the box (s) in a freezer for a minimum of 12 hours. This definitely kills all larvae and adults.
The operation should then be repeated about a month later to allow time for any remaining (and viable) eggs to hatch.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page