Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Lamiini
 Cameron, Malaysia: Acalolepta

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
loongfah Posted - 16/06/2013 : 13:24:27

511.14 KB

Also yellow scutellum like the one from Panti from previous post, but seems to be a different species
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gerard Posted - 14/12/2013 : 20:08:07
Hello here is the female with this special color, type (Monochamus defector Pascoe, 1866) is a London.
Someone could have the photo of the type?
Francesco Posted - 13/07/2013 : 22:23:23
The present specimen is a male, while the one figured here is probably a female.
The size is unknown in both cases, though the linked specimen seems to be smaller.
Some important features using in Breuning's giant key to Acalolepta (for example: puncturing of the forehead, proportion eyes/cheeks) are unknown as well.
The characters Pascoe used are relative to A. rusticatrix (which really has a clearer scutellum), but they might correspond to several species.
According to me, the specimens belong to different species, since the differences in the scape and in the pronotal puncturing are evident... unfortunately, neither of them was used in Breuning's key.
loongfah Posted - 13/07/2013 : 21:58:55
Thanks for this discussion!

In Pascoe's rather brief description of A. defector (only giving differences from A. rusticatrix), there is no mention of the yellow scutellum?

Anyway, the differences are: "Closely resembling M. fistulator, the scape is more slender and cylindrical and very slightly thicker towards the apex, all the
femora are considerably shorter, and the intermediate and posterior are as much incrassated as the anterior."

The scape of the Panti specimen in http://www.cerambycoidea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15349 is indeed more slender (and only slightly thicker towards the apex), and perhaps match better with Pascoe's description of color: "rufo-piceus", completely "griseo-pubescens"

Lastly, should the specific name be defector or defectrix?
Beckey Posted - 13/07/2013 : 15:40:38
According to Pascoe, A. defectrix was got from Singapore.
The highest mountain in Singapore is no more than 200m in altitude.
But I got this species (12 specimen 16.9-24.8mm) in highlands area only.
So, I couldn't help wondering A. defectrix is http://www.cerambycoidea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15349.
Panti forest is lowland under 500m in altitude next to Singapore.

Francesco Posted - 09/07/2013 : 22:14:01
It might be Acalolepta defectrix (Pascoe, 1866) from the Malayan peninsula, which is characterised by a yellow scutellum.
Beckey Posted - 17/06/2013 : 22:25:57
This is an Acalolepta species.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page