Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Lamiini
 Philippines: Achthophora ferruginea vs humeralis

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Andre Posted - 22/01/2015 : 21:06:27

148.57 KB

Philippines, Palawan Isl, Female, 16 mm.
With small tooth on the pronotum and with a lobe on the elytral base like Peribasis.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Francesco Posted - 28/02/2015 : 17:38:30
You are perfectly right Dan! ...and how foolish of me!
I have this species in the gallery for a long time ago (here) and the other one in my collection!

Here the true Achthophora humeralis:

East Luzon, Philippines
dryobius Posted - 28/02/2015 : 14:55:07
Presently, I must disagree with Francesco.
Per an unpublished key to the genus translated by Hudepohl in '99, based in part on Breuning's work, I would call this A. ferruginea. Attached is the key, and I hope that anyone would tell me if it is useful. I have some trouble with it. Also, it does not work for a species in Borneo, that may be close to tristis or a new species. (I have never seen A. tristis from Philippines). Sometimes the longitudinal lines on the pronotum are rubbed off. A. chabacana Vives is not in the key, of course. From the photograph, it appears the specimen has the 3rd antennomere pubescent but without an apical tuft of hair. Thus it would immediately proceed to couplet 2. The pronotum is clearly ferrugineus, without spots, vittae or other markings. I don't have any type photos of this genus, so everything must be verified.

Genus Achthophora Newman

1 Third antennal segment completely and densely pubescent 2
- Third segment with an apical tuft 4

2 Pronotum with red tomentum. Philippines. ferruginea Heller
- Pronotum speckled with small ochreous spots 3

3 Whitish fascia extending over genae, sides of pronotum and sterna. Borneo. sandakana Heller
- All designs ochreous. Philippines. tristis Newman

4 Elytra flattened on disc; the inner tubercle on humerus elongated to apical third as a subtle costa; all designs pure white. Philippines. costulata Heller
- Elytra not flattened, without longitudinal costa; design yellowish, ochreous or whitish-yellow 5

5 Disc of pronotum with five light longitudinal lines that are not, or scarcely, interrupted; numerous, irregular light spots between the transverse bands on elytra. Philippines. humeralis (Heller)
- The light lines on pronotum more or less interrupted medially; few or not any light spots between the three transverse bands on elytra 6

6 Pronotum very distinctly granulated; tuft on fourth antennal segment covering about apical half, basal half red with gray pubescence 7
- Pronotum very finely granulated; tuft on fourth segment covering about apical three quarters, basal quarter dark red. Philippines. annulicornis Heller

7 Elytron with three narrow, light, transverse bands, excluding preapical macula. Philippines. trifasciata Heller
- Elytron with one large and one narrow band, excluding preapical macula. Philippines. alma Newman
Francesco Posted - 28/02/2015 : 13:06:22
Achthophora humeralis (Heller, 1916), Weibchen.
Gerard Posted - 22/01/2015 : 22:31:04
Looking to the Genus Achthophora.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page