Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Mesosini
 Borneo Choeromorpha: pigra?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Robert Posted - 28/01/2013 : 06:14:45

Choeromorpha sp. 1
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Francesco Posted - 29/03/2013 : 07:13:14
No, actually, it is Danilevsky's opinion (2010: 322). I do not know whether its is correct, since I have not seen Chevrolat's work.

Here the problem is only "bureaucratic":
We all agree that Choeromorpha pigra Dejean, 1835 is nomen nudum since the description misses.
Choeromopha Dejean, 1835 is nomen nudum as well, since no valid species-names were mentioned.

I think that Choeromorpha Chevrolat is valid since Chevrolat described this genus.
If "Choreomorpha pigra Dejean" was the only mentioned species, thus the description of Choeromorpha must be also automatically applied to Choeromorpha pigra for monotypy.
Consequently, Chevrolat actually described Choreomorpha pigra.

Otherwise - if Chevrolat did not provide any description - Choeromorpha "belongs" to the first author provided a description of it or a description of a new species using this genus-name.
dryobius Posted - 29/03/2013 : 01:02:13
I think it is the opinion of Löbl (2010, p. 60, Palaearctic Catalog) that Chevrolat gets credit for naming the genus, but did not describe the species!
This situation is certainly a mess because at that time in history, there were very few rules for naming. The question then becomes: Who has the holotype? Chevrolat did not have a specimen, because he was referring to Dejean. I don't know the answer to this. And do we know that Aurivillius described the same species that Dejean and Chevrolat had talked about?
Francesco Posted - 28/03/2013 : 23:00:53
Yes! It is very similar to this specimen from Sumatra.

P.s. This species was described by Chevrolat, 1843, not Aurivillius.
dryobius Posted - 28/01/2013 : 19:34:40
This looks identical to my photo of Choeromorpha pigra Aurivillius, 1920 which I have from Sumatra (identified by Yamasako).. but this is not recorded from Borneo, nor do I have any from Borneo.
Interesting. Please confirm the homeland. thanks.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page