Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Pteropliini
 Vietnam, Niphona: cf. princeps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Max Posted - 20/03/2011 : 21:04:40

The next request to help with determination
Niphona gr. furcata (?)
S Vietnam, Bin`Fyok prov., ~23mm
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MONO Posted - 19/09/2016 : 07:38:36
I saw it in a book called "Beetles of Thailand", maybe it is wrong! Could you give me have a look at the HP?
Thanks, Xavier
Xavier Posted - 18/09/2016 : 17:22:53
No, it is not. Holotype picture shows a different species.
MONO Posted - 18/09/2016 : 17:01:28
Hello Francesco. The first one that I think is Niphona longesignata Pic, 1936
Max Posted - 15/03/2016 : 21:58:18
I find out ¹2 It`s corresponded well to Type Ocheutes scopulifera Thomson, 1864, respectively - N. pannosa Pascoe, 1862 (many thanks to Gerard)
http://www.cerambycoidea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21107
Max Posted - 07/08/2011 : 22:43:44
Ok. Thank you very much!
Francesco Posted - 07/08/2011 : 21:48:13
I agree, Max. I have not got Pic's original description of N. longesignata from Vietnam, but according to Breuning, it is "made" viceversa: the sutural angle is prolonged forming a lobe, while the lateral angle is evident.
The under eyes lobes should be as long as cheeks.
The pattern should have a post-humeral lateral white spot, an oval brown spot obliquely linking the basal tuft to the suture, and a brown longitudinal band posteriorly enlarged, covering the whole apical part... I will send you a scan of this page.
Max Posted - 07/08/2011 : 18:26:01
Dear Francesco,in a book "Beetles of Thailand" is only 2 species of Niphona, but their pictures match my two beetles.
First, (furcata-style) named longesignata (described from Vietnam), and the second - rondoni (described from Laos).
The book is not scientific, there are many obvious errors, but, nonetheless, legitimate doubts emerged.
Could you check out these two names to corresponding of my images?
I have no keys, no descriptions Sorry
Francesco Posted - 23/03/2011 : 15:38:15
Thank you very much for your proposal, Max.
Actually, your pictures already have a nice definition and are in this Website...
Max Posted - 23/03/2011 : 10:27:58
Perfectly, I am very grateful for the information and determination! If some of my photos are suitable for objectives of your site can use them. If the resolution of shots is not enough, I shall send a better version.
Francesco Posted - 23/03/2011 : 08:46:40

With these data (eyes 1/2 longer than cheeks) I reach Niphona tibialis Gahan from India, but I more think it is Niphona chapaensis (Pic, 1936) from Vietnam, which has eyes 2 times as long as cheeks.
Very difficult to interpret Breuning's key...
Both species are characterised by prothorax with antolateral tubercles, but the latter one has a lateral preapical bulge on the elytra as well.
Max Posted - 22/03/2011 : 22:17:29

Thank you very match, Francesco! It is very interesting to me. I more recently began to determine Cerambycidae from Southeast Asia and yet I do not know many simple things.
Here one more Niphona, from another group, (with the same label) look, please. At this exemplar length of a cheek from the mandibular basis up to the bottom edge of an eye - 2\3 lengths of the bottom lobe of an eye.
Francesco Posted - 22/03/2011 : 21:13:39
No, there are not many species (72), but Breuning's key is based on this character rather than on the shape of the elytral apex, which is very different in this group.
However, N. furcata has a nearly smooth pronotum, which does not correspond to this species. In addition the eyes are as long as cheeks...
The species with yellowish pubescence and so long eyes are N. princeps and N. batesi. Both have been described by Gahan (1894, p. 63) basing on specimens from Myanmar.
But I am not completely sure about their identity...
Max Posted - 22/03/2011 : 19:24:41

Thanks. Here, please. The cheeks practically is absent there.
Really as ("a la furcata" habitus) it is a lot of such species?
Francesco Posted - 22/03/2011 : 14:23:43
I agree, but it is not furcata certainly.
I'd need a lateral view of the head since Breuning's key is based on the proportion eyes/cheeks.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page