Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pipsunmas
Member Nathrius

Hungary
2 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  20:00:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit pipsunmas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday when I was splitting oak logs for firewood I found an adult female Cerambyx cerdo which had presumably been hibernating inside the wood. This is in Miskolc, northheast Hungary.

I would like to ask for advice. I know that this is a protected species with a limited dispersal distance but don't know much about beetle biology. Will the insect perish now that it has been disturbed during diapause and its resting place destroyed? If not would it be possible for me to overwinter it in alternative accommodation (I should be able to locate a suitable release site in the nearby Bükk National Park before spring). At the moment it is in a container in an unheated garage with some wood debris. It is alive, apparently unharmed and moving around very slowly.

http://miskolc-moths.blogspot.hu/2012/12/nagy-hoscincergreat-capricorn-beetle.html

I would be very grateful for any advice. Another question would be about the population ecology of the species - since I have logs which are probably from the same oak stem is it likely that they are harbouring other individuals?

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9398 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  19:56:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear pipsunmas, welcome to the Forum.

Concerning your questions, this species entries in diapause in September, resisting in the pupal chamber until June-July, when the environmental temperature is enough for its adult life.
In this period the beetle survives immobile thank to the fat accumulated during the larval stage.

In unnatural condition (e.g. in rearing) the environmental temperature of our caves is sometimes sufficient to make it emerge.
Your beetle will not perish in lab conditions and, in a suitable site, should survive until the prefixed period. Naturally, the consummation of fat depends on the temperature, being greater (consequently, its life shorter) in warmer conditions.
This species (contrarily to others, e.g. Trichoferus) is able to feed (e.g. fruits), prolonging its life, even until September (!) as its fat is finished.

The problem might be the "suitable site", since your beetle is now vulnerable to predators (birds, mammalian) and to the meteo conditions. Its site is no longer sure and protected as before...

Concerning the second question, other logs are possibly related to other specimens of the same species...
Pay attention that females of this species does not lay eggs in dead trees. In this case, all larvae present in the trunk will complete its development and the attack finishes.
Go to Top of Page

pipsunmas
Member Nathrius

Hungary
2 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  16:42:06  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit pipsunmas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Francesco
Thank you very much for this information. My plan would be to keep the beetle in a container in a cool dry place until it becomes active and only then release it (to lessen the risk of predation and exposure to the elements you mention). We have a cellar which I hope will be cold enough. I am more concerned about the risk of accidentally burning other individuals on the fire than continued attack of the logs. There are a few logs with similar size tunnels in their heartwood (all oak) but it is difficult to say whether or not they contain beetles. I shall put aside the most likely looking ones and try to spare them from the fire. Superb insect! Thanks again for your advice.
Philip
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9398 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  20:45:02  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear pipsunmas,
I think that your system works well.
For the rest, we have the same problem with fire wood in our country house.
My advice is to wait for two years before burning a piece of wood.
In the first and second year it is possible to burn the healthiest wood, and contemporaneously buy new wood.
In this way, all beetles will emerge and very difficultly will attack the wood another time.
Go to Top of Page

Lenny
Member Purpuricenus

Thailand
361 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2014 :  06:24:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
pipsunmas
I just read your article.And found it very interesting indeed.
Well done.That was a while ago now.Could you give an update.Could you tell me what was the outcome.
Did the Beetle survive,did you release it ?

Lenny
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page