Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2014 :  09:18:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

194.31 KB

Hello again.

I can't find the name for this metallic purple Acronia sp.

Data: 08-2014 - San Pablo - Isabela - Eastern Luzon - Philippines

Thanks
Ben

Edited by - Xavier on 03/11/2015 16:26:19

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2014 :  07:51:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ps. Anyone have any papers regarding Acronia?
Thanks
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9420 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  08:59:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only close species is A. nigra Breuning, 1947.
It corresponds in several features, including the white stripe on the abdomen, but it should show a small post-scutellar white spot and not two lateral spots on the elytra.
I do not know the variability of this species since it was described from only one specimen from Siargao.
Go to Top of Page

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  18:20:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that information Francesco.
I guess I will have to wait for any additional specimens to filter through the scientific system and to validate all the Acronia species with better keys.
It could indeed be a variation, is there a drawing of this species anywhere?
Thanks once again for all your help
From a budding young entomologist!
Go to Top of Page

Xavier
Scientific Collaborator

France
12095 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  16:25:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

72.08 KB

1. Acronia luzonica Schultze, 1934 original drawing
2. Acronia luzonica Schultze, 1934 in VIVES, 2015. New or interesting Cerambycidae from the Philippines 12. BOLETÍN DE LA SOCIEDAD ENTOMOLÓGICA ARAGONESA · JUNE 2015.

E. Vives wrote in his last paper that he has examined the holotype male of Acronia luzonica Schultze, 1934 from Cagayan, Peñablanca (Luzon), A. de los Reyes leg. (in MFND)

Edited by - Xavier on 03/11/2015 17:46:07
Go to Top of Page

BillTyson
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  17:04:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Ben: I have one as well and have been calling it nigra. I must assume that nigra is a synomyn of luzonica?
Go to Top of Page

Xavier
Scientific Collaborator

France
12095 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  17:44:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
quote:
I must assume that nigra is a synomyn of luzonica?
Francesco wrote that A. nigra has no transversal white marks, so why do you think it is a synomym of A. luzonica ?
Go to Top of Page

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  21:30:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks for the update.
Go to Top of Page

Franky
Member Nathrius

France
35 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2022 :  22:01:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Franky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Acronia spp. are likely very variable so it is not excluded that A. luzonica is a synonym of A. nigra, unless there are other morphological characters useful for ID, like aedeagus of males.

Furthermore many Acronia spp. are described from a single specimen, which is inconceivable. The diagnoses are often very poor in my opinion... Many populations from different locations should be studied as they can vary a lot from place to place. This also goes to the Doliops spp.

Edited by - Franky on 10/08/2022 00:13:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page