Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  17:51:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

429.67 KB

Pectinocallimus sericeus Niisato, 1989
From Sabah, about 8mm, ID confirmed by Dr. Niisato.

I wanted to share this photo with the forum members. There are 2 species of Pectinocallimus in W. Malaysia known from a total of 3 specimens (Niisato, 2012). They were reared from dead branches.

Dr. Niisato informed me that this was only the second specimen of P. sericeus that he had seen.

In South Texas, we have a Psebiini, Nathriobrium methioides, which has only been collected one time as a live adult, however myself and a couple other collectors reared series's from dead branches. In my rearing chamber, the adults lived less than one day. Small, fragile species sometimes have extremely short adult lives which could explain their scarcity in collections.
For those collectors who have never tried to rear Cerambycidae from larvae, I would suggest you try it and see how interesting it can be. Unfortunately, Americans can not bring dead limbs back from foreign countries due to our agricultural laws!

Pierre-Olivier Maquart
Member Rosalia

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  18:37:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
That's a stunning specimen
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  19:32:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Phantastic, indeed.
Your story makes me think of Nathrius brevipennis Mulsant, 1839 (Psebiini also), a minute species reported from most parts of Europe and even from some places in Northern Africa. This beetle is extremely difficult to be found in the nature, but when reared you can obtain dozens and dozens of them.
Go to Top of Page

Gerard
Scientific Collaborator

France
5253 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  20:31:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Beautiful animal Dan, that reminds me of Molorchus minor which I obtained in breeding.
I also breed; that allows to have animals in more important quantities. If a member wants European animals, I am willing to make exchanges.
Go to Top of Page

Beckey
Member Rosalia

Japan
552 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  21:39:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Wonderful specimen!

I reared those 3 beetles in W. Malaysia but there is a few chance.

Because all dead branches on the ground are eaten by termite at once in the rain forest.

At that time, I had the good fortune to find newly fallen dead branches on the ground and fallen in the bush several meters from the ground.

P.S.
I will upload the images of those 3 beetles in the Type Section.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page