Posted - 12/02/2015 :  22:58:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

I need some help identifying this one.
26 mm. Makira. Solomon Islands.

Thank you.

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9442 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2015 :  09:06:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It belongs to the most difficult group in the Solomons: that with scarcely differentiated species. Moreover, none of them have been recorded from the Makira-Ulawa province yet (actually, no Acalolepta is known from Makira).
However... could you take a lateral picture of the head, or tell me if the eyes are twice or three times as long as the cheeks?
Go to Top of Page

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2015 :  17:42:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Francesco - Here are some additional photos.
I have had a series of this species for about 12-13 years. They came from a French dealer that I haven't heard from since then. Therefore, locality can not be verified. I just have to trust him. There were a couple of Homonoeini in the package which occur in the Solomons, so the location is reasonable.

If you can't identify the species, please tell me what the options are.

484.16 KB

Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9442 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2015 :  20:08:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Dan,

I insert here the part of my key to these species.
Unfortunately, I have not my specimens with me and I do not exactly remember their features (I do not see them since 2008 ).
Moreover, your specimens could also belong to a new "form"

6. Teeth of the pronotum blunt, tuberculated at apex ... 7.
-. Teeth of the pronotum regularly conical, pointed at apex ... 8.
7. Larger; elytral apex narrow; inferior eye-lobes 3 times as long as cheeks; scape clavate; antennae at least 2,5 times as long as body in male, 26-32 mm (Mono, Nggela, Malaita, Maramasike) ...griseofumata (Gressitt, 1952)
-. Smaller; elytral apex large; inferior eye-lobes 2 times as long as cheeks; scape conical; antennae 2 times as long as body in male,17-27 mm (Bougainville) ... strandiella (Breuning, 1935)
8. Larger (29-31 mm) and slender; antennae thin; elytral apex emarginate, both angles distinctly angulate (Bougainville) ... sericeiceps (Kriesche, 1936)
-. Smaller (20-25 mm) and stouter; antennae thicker; elytral apex obliquely truncated, inner angle rounded ... 9.
9. Pubescence grey; scape clavate (Bougainville) ...bisericans (Kriesche, 1936)
-. Pubescence golden-brown; scape conical (Malaita, Bellona), perhaps subspecies of the previous ... sulcicollis (Gressitt, 1952)
Go to Top of Page

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2015 :  01:07:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the key. It is still difficult, as you stated.

It might possibly be A. sulcicollis, but I think the elytral apex is wrong.

I have two more Solomon species, which might be easier to identify by photographs. One of them could be A. bisericans. I will try to post them soon.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9442 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2015 :  07:04:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also had this doubt, but A. sulcicollis should be a shorter species.
Here my specimens from Malaita:

116.12 KB

Actually, A. sulcicollis was described from Bellona and possibly, my specimens might belong to another further form.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page