| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BillTyson
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  14:57:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

30.43 KB

I've seen this called Cereopsius affinis.
It looks like a lightly marked C. luctor but I have never seen a confirmed affinis.
Anyone have some thoughts on this one?

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9416 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  17:20:09  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to the original description, C. affinis should be similar to C. siamensis, which has four elytral spots.
Thus, it is C. luctor.
Go to Top of Page

BillTyson
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2015 :  20:29:00  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
My thoughts as well. Keep seeing C. cabigasi being sold with the 6 spots as well. I believe it also only has 4. thanks
Go to Top of Page

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2015 :  15:49:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
http://www.cerambycoidea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19107&SearchTerms=cereopsius

Bill, I don't know if you saw this recent post. C. luctor has a ridge near the humerus which other Cereopsius in the Philippines lack.

I think it is unfortunate that C. cabigasi was described without a thorough study of this genus. It may be a good species... or maybe not. It may have already been described. The maculae on the elytra of Cereopsius vary to some extent in many species. C. sexmaculatus sometimes has just four. Sometimes C. vittipennis is not vittate.
Go to Top of Page

BillTyson
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2015 :  21:48:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Appreciate all the insight. As usual, something simple has become complex. Without a specimen in hand, I have been using the lack of apical spots to separate cabigasi from luctor. Apparently this is not a good, quick fix, when all you have is a photograph. thanks
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9416 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2015 :  22:32:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The apical spot is well present in C. cabigasi!
According to the descriptor, C. cabigasi differs from C. luctor in the confluent pronotal spots and in the lacking of the white mesosternal spot. Moreover, the colour of the elytral spots is yellowish (whitish in C. luctor), nearly the same colour of the antennae.
There are some specimens in our Forum.
Go to Top of Page

BillTyson
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2015 :  04:10:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Francesco: I will check all my specimens for the characters you list. I have sexmaculatus from Palawan which extends its range into the Philippines. thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page