This one resembles Coelodon to me.

Collected in Tanzania.
59 mm.

Edited by - Gerard on 30/01/2016 16:16:11

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  09:07:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Coelodon, I do not think (there is a pair in the Forum).
I'd say Taurotagus, maybe a male of T. similis, which Adlbauer (1998) described from Kenya and (maybe) Tanzania basing on only two specimens.
But... 59 mm seem to much for this species.
Have you got this paper? If not, I send you a copy.
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  11:03:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
No, I don't have it. Do you have it in electronic format or on paper? It is very exciting to have a species that has probably been described a decade ago. The size is true. This time I measured the specimen before placing a photo :-)
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  11:13:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have no official PDF but I send the principal pages as attachment to your private mail.
Another possibility could have been Diorthus simplex, but I see no cicatrix on the scape.
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  10:30:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Well, I am a representative of an exact science, but as we already know measuring length is not my strongest side. Anyway, the beetle is 49 mm long. This length fits more Taurotagus klugi (30-50 mm), while 38-42 mm is given for in T. similis in Adlbauer’s paper.
Antennae are also slightly longer than body that is more the feature of T. klugi. According to Adlbauer antennae are as as long as body in T. similis.
Other characteristics fit perfectly the description of T. similis: no transversal wrinkles in pronotum, in fact pronotum is rather smooth, and the last tergit is flat (I can see it clearly as the abdomen is bent downwards), trapezoidal, “unnotched”, i.e. without lobes.
So which features are stronger?
Can we tell that this is Taurotagus similis Adlbauer, 1998?
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  11:07:02  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well... though some people think differently, entomology is no an exact science... nonetheless, we can use some rules of exact sciences.
Concerning the species in object, we can notice that T. klugii has a size varying of 67% (30-50 mm on several specimens), while T. similis has a size varying of 10% (38-42 mm on 2 specimens).
So we can reasonably suppose that further specimens of similis might be smaller or larger than the sizes Adlbauer provided. I think hence that similis could be a more probable candidate.
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  11:26:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I agree. Thank you very much, Francesco. That was exact.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page