Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robert Perger
Member Nathrius

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  21:10:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Hi Francesco,
hope you are well.
I have attached a Tragocephala sp. from South-Madagascar.
Probably, Breuning described it 1934 (Etudes sur les Lamiaires. I. Tragocephalini.), but I don't have the publication and I don't know where to obtain.
Could you help me?
cheers,
Robert

Edited by - Gerard on 28/01/2016 20:58:12

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  13:06:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Robert,
this might be a rare variety of T. jucunda, as the ringed antennae and the basal black spot on the pronotum suggest.
Breuning described several varieties until 1957. In the book about Malagasy Lamiinae (1957) I have the description of all. There is only a variety with the pronotal spot reduced to two basal spots (var. madagascariensis Künckel, 1890), but the elytral pattern of this form is complete.
In contrast, the pronotal and elytral pattern well correspond to the var. pauliani of T. pulchra (Waterhouse, 1880). This species was originally described as variety of jucunda, and later considered (Breuning, 1957) as bona species.
The only difference seems to be that pulchra has unicolour black antennae, but I am not sure about such particular, since Breuning's descriptions are often based on other descriptions and not on real specimens.

In conclusion, using Breuning's keys and description, I can not reach a satisfactory ID. Another thing to be studied...
Go to Top of Page

Robert Perger
Member Nathrius

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  17:11:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Hi Francesco,
thanks a lot for your reply, helpful as usual.
Robert
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page