Posted - 07/07/2016 :  03:10:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Pseudochlorisanis similis (Gahan, 1907)
Go to Top of Page

Beckey
Member Rosalia

Japan
552 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  21:54:34  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your determination, Dmitry.
Go to Top of Page

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  23:54:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I think this might be another species. There are several similarly colored species in perhaps 2 or more genera in the Malayan region. The only way to be certain of a determination is to examine the holotype.

P. similis was described from Sumatra. I have NOT seen the holotype and I don't have a photo. I have one specimen from Sabah identified by Hudepohl in 1999, and I have seen many more just like it from Sabah. My specimens have a small amount of whitish pubescent at the elytral apex which is visible when held at an angle. On some specimens, there is a slightly visible black sutural vitta ... but not nearly as visble as in the image shown above. My specimens do not have a small areas of black or bluish-black tomentum on the pronotum like I see in the image above. My specimens of P. similis have the elytral apex somewhat more rounded than the specimen shown here, but it is very inconclusive.

I have a Glenea from Borneo which is very similar to the image above except the elytral apices are quite different (externally dentate).

Vives (2013, fig. 15) reported P. similis from the Philippines. I do not agree with that determination. I think his image is a "Glenea" sp. His specimen in figure 15 has bicolored legs. All of my specimens from Borneo of the species I have been calling P. similis have completely black legs. One of my P. similis is actually shiny blue and not green.

Since my specimens are not from the type locality (Si Rambe, Sumatra) and were identified by Hudepohl ( who wrote to me a couple of times that he had to quit working on beetles because his eyes were failing) in his later years, there is doubt in my mind as to what P. similis really is.

Chlorisanis beguetanus Schultze, 1920, (currently a synonym of P. similis) is quite possibly a good species, since there are very few species which occur on Luzon and Sumatra simultaneously. I think Breuning synonymized some species without inspection.

Go to Top of Page

Beckey
Member Rosalia

Japan
552 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  23:20:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Dan!

Your opinion is very helpful to me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend