Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1629 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  09:37:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

295.91 KB

Hi all.
Slightly larger than your typical Pterolophia sp and inbetween the size of that and Moechotypa.
It's been bugging me for a while, literally!

Data: 12-2012 - Ambon Island - Indonesia

Xavier
Scientific Collaborator

France
12137 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  10:49:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

179.28 KB
Rhytiphora distincta (Pascoe, 1864) ? Shape of pronotum is not the same...
and 413 species in the genus !! (cf. Titan database).

Edited by - Xavier on 10/01/2017 11:15:10
Go to Top of Page

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1629 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  11:17:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes that looks similar, thank you very much, it is riddled with small punctures.

Edited by - Bennyboymothman on 10/01/2017 11:18:06
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9442 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  12:53:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is really very similar; however, a female.
The valid combination is Prosoplus (Escharodes) distinctus (Pascoe, 1864)... Let us draw a veil over the delirium by Slipinky & Escalona (here).
Go to Top of Page

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1629 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  13:46:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
O so the genus Rhytiphora is now Prosoplus?
Who decides these taxonomic changed and without peer reviews...I hope not
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9442 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  14:27:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rhytiphora and Prosoplus are two very distinct genera.

- Rhytiphora shows elongated body and antennae fringed by dense hairs beneath. The habitus generally reminds Saperda carcharias.
- Prosoplus shows stout body and antennae fringed by sparse hairs. The habitus reminds the genus Mesosa.

This for a superficial recognition, but there are further differences:
- antennae thick (R.) or fine (P.)
- antennomere III longer (R.) or mostly shorter (P.) than IV
- eyes divided or strongly reniform (R.) or reniform (P.)
- prosternum anteriorly rounded (R.) or truncated (P.)
- mesosternum anteriorly rounded (R.) or truncated (P.)

These two genera were considered separated by all entomologists since 1853... until Slipinsky & Escalona (2013) - two entomologists with general interest on Beetles and without previous papers on Cerambycids - wrote this synonymy in a self-published book.
Go to Top of Page

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1629 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  14:29:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Francesco thanks for your knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9442 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  14:39:06  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coming back to the identification of this species, I think that it is Prosoplus (Escharodes) strenuus (Pascoe, 1864), described from Ambon.
It differs just from distinctus in the less pronounced dark markings and other features.
Go to Top of Page

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1629 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  16:14:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you I see it now :) https://apps2.cdfa.ca.gov/publicApps/plant/bycidDB/wdetails.asp?id=36826&w=o
Go to Top of Page

Xaurus
Member Rosenbergia

Germany
1912 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  01:30:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Since longer time I have a doubt if both P. distinctus and P. strenuus are different species ?

btw: Larry's sps (https://apps2.cdfa.ca.gov/publicApps/plant/bycidDB/wdetails.asp?id=36826&w=o) probably belongs to P. invidus (Pascoe, 1864)

Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9442 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  12:22:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xaurus

Since longer time I have a doubt if both P. distinctus and P. strenuus are different species ?
Interesting topic, Xaurus.
Pascoe and Breuning based their taxonomy on morphological features of the body and of few specimens, overlooking genitalia, biogeography and, mostly, variability. For example, P. distinctus and P. strenuus might be two subspecies.
I think that we are in the condition to further improve their study.
Articles like yours and by Andre Skale are a good way to drive a serious scientific research... PC and Delta-software belong to the Paris Hilton's of the Entomology.
Go to Top of Page

Xavier
Scientific Collaborator

France
12137 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  12:44:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
quote:
PC and Delta-software belong to the Paris Hilton's of the Entomology.
Go to Top of Page

Xavier
Scientific Collaborator

France
12137 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  12:54:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
ok, I find the answer here
Go to Top of Page

Xavier
Scientific Collaborator

France
12137 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  08:41:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xaurus

btw: Larry's sps (https://apps2.cdfa.ca.gov/publicApps/plant/bycidDB/wdetails.asp?id=36826&w=o) probably belongs to P. invidus (Pascoe, 1864)
...no more picture
Go to Top of Page

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1629 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  12:24:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Working link to Prosoplus. http://bezbycids.com/byciddb/wthumb.asp?g=Prosoplus&w=o
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page