| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2017 :  23:13:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

449.56 KB

Even with the revision by Adlbauer on hands I doubt whether this is P. schoenigi, P. regius or P. camerunicus.
Size is 40 mm (other specimens up to 47 mm), which is smaller than the minimum size of P. schoenigi (47-59 mm). However, scape seems a bit flattened, at least it is not cylindrical.

Edited: I slightly corrected colours in the photo.

Edited by - Vitali on 24/05/2017 13:39:40

africaone
Member Purpuricenus

Belgium
484 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2017 :  08:19:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I never understood the real difference between schoenigi and camerunicus (see another post on the forum) based on Karl's paper.
I have large series of camerunicus covering the entire forest block from RCI to East RDC, and nothing special obvious comes at light (except may be a small geographical difference). It is not easy to study at "complex species" level despite the genus is clearly separated by well distinct complexes.
It is not regius, probably one of the two, schoenigi or camerunicus.

s'il n'y pas de solution c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème ! akuna matata ....
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2017 :  09:47:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Oh, indeed. I read your previous post and understood I fell in the same trap. You are right - it is not P. regius, as elytra proportions are different. P. regius is more elongated (?)
I cannot estimate the degree of scape "flatness", but body size does not fit P. schoenigi anyway. So, just by the exclusion method - this should be P. camerunicus. According to Adlbauer, it has not been found in Togo, but why not if it is present in neighbouring Ghana and Nigeria?
Go to Top of Page

africaone
Member Purpuricenus

Belgium
484 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2017 :  14:30:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
The type locality of schoenigi is Togo.
I believe that schoenigi and camerunicus are two vicariants. schoenigi for Occidental Africa and camerunicus for Central Africa.
On series of both there are some characters that seems usable despite not being exlusives.
- surface of 3rd antennomere more regular in camerunicus
- 3rd antenomere stronger with extremity more dilated in camerunicus
- In mean, camerunicus seem more yellowish than schoenigi that is a little more silvery
+ some more détails
The confusion coming from Karl's paper that used the shape of scape as specific character (on series that seems variable) that conducts to mix central population with occidental ones.

note that congolensis is something completely different from the pair titan/regius (that are a pair of close species, names to be confirmed by examination of types)

s'il n'y pas de solution c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème ! akuna matata ....

Edited by - africaone on 24/05/2017 14:37:14
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2017 :  14:44:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Thierry.
I'll try to examine the whole series and find also a male from the same lot to add it here for completeness.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page