Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Cerambycidae Cerambycinae
 Callichromatini
 Malaysia: Pseudochelidonium unonotaticolle?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  12:49:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Resembles Chelidonium unonotaticolle Hüdepohl, although the central pronotal spot does not distinctly narrows backwards.

"Cameron Highlands", Malaysia. 23 mm.

It was on the same cardboard with Ch. circumsplendens, so probably 2 species from the same paper

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9432 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  19:37:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is probably the same species or a sibling one; unfortunately, Hüdepohl (1998) did not provide differential diagnoses with other species...
Actually, Podaný's revision (1974) does not mention further species from Malaysia characterised by elytra without dark strips and pronotum with a single dark spot.
It might also be a new species, but it would be better check all Chelidonium (and allied) species from Malaysia and finally, the types (preserved in München).
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  21:49:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Dear Francesco. Isn't it some sort of mistake?
There is a long comparative diagnosis of Ch. unonotaticolle with Ch. herteli, gahani, punctigerum, bryanti... etc in page 225 of Huedepohl, 1998.
My problem is that my German is insufficient to understand the most important first two sentences. Namely, which characteristics belongs to which species. By the way, there is also a good hint concerning my previous posting about Ch. bryanti and other species with two dark spots in pronotum.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9432 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  22:00:03  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Vitali! I completely missed it!
Hüdepohl writes that this species differs from the congeners with dark pronotal spot in its prothorax with "short lateral teeth" and with "parallel sides before them" (= anteriorly).
Unfortunately, the position of the antennae of this specimens does not help a lot...
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  22:20:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you again.
In principle this fits well. I can see it with a small correction. I would say that it is Ch. unonotaticolle if the sides of pronotum are straight before the side bumps, but it is not if the sides have to be parallel. In fact the sides diverge backwards from the front edge to the side bumps.
Isn't "gerade" just straight?
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9432 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  08:06:03  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, you are right.
Here he wrote: "gerade nach vorne verlaufenden Seitenrand", that is: "the lateral side, which straightly goes ahead" (+/-)
My "parallel-sides" is too "interpretative"...
But, this character is present or not in your specimen?
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  10:37:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Yes, the front 2/3 of lateral margins seem straight, not rounded. So, the front 2/3 of pronotum form a sort of trapezoid, although you are right, it is not easy to see because of antennae position and I have to tilt the beetle a little to see margins.
I think it should be Ch. unonotaticolle. I can see the only difference in the shape of a pronotal dark spot. It does not narrow that distinctly backwards, but this is not probably important.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9432 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  12:47:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last but not least, Vives, Bentanachs & Chew Kea Foo (2006) created for this species the monobasic genus Pseudochelidonium.
Go to Top of Page

Andre
Member Rosenbergia

Germany
1693 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2013 :  20:53:00  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

223.81 KB

Hier der HT von Pseudochelidonium unonotaticolle Hüdepohl, 1998.
Ob es nötig war für dieses Taxon eine eigene Gattung anzulegen bleibt fraglich.
Laut Originalbeschreibung und -beschriftung ist der HT ein Männchen. Es handelt sich aber in Wirklichkeit um ein Weibchen!
Go to Top of Page

Andre
Member Rosenbergia

Germany
1693 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2013 :  21:21:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

494.92 KB

Hier das Pronotum eines männlichen PT.
Go to Top of Page

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2013 :  12:30:34  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I strongly disagree with the determination of this species as Pseudochelidonium unonotaticolle.

P. unonotaticolle has a very thin, bright green sutural stripe from the scutellum to elytral apex. It has a distinct pronotal marking. The surface of the elytra appears to have a different texture.
I have seen about 4 or 5 specimens of P. unonotaticolle, only from Sabah, and they all look like the type.
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2013 :  13:07:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Andre, for the photos.
I can see differences with my beetle in both aspects mentioned by Dan and in the shape of the pronotal base.
Puzzling.
Go to Top of Page

Andre
Member Rosenbergia

Germany
1693 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  07:53:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Hallo Dan and Vitali....sorry I forgot the replay of this post.
The spec. in the middle is a PT of P. unonotaticolle. Right the HT.
Hmmmm......the PT is without sutural stripe, but it is difficult... the determination on the picture is just not safe.
Sorry for the bad picture.

420.17 KB
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9432 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  08:52:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hmmm... the holotype also shows more golden pronotal sides and scutellum.
Is it only a colour variation?
The antennal length seems to be different...
Go to Top of Page

Andre
Member Rosenbergia

Germany
1693 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  08:59:09  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
The HT is a female.....and the PT is a male
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9432 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  09:45:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And the description was provided on the male (though the holotype is female)... das klappt!
According to me, it may be another case of sexual dimorphism.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page