| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Max
Member Rosalia

Russia
713 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  22:09:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Help me, please, with this Allotraeus.
I have big doubts about the species. Probably, orientalis (White, 1869)(???) or rubriventris...
Metathorax with hind coxae is dark-brown, abdomen is red, 13 mm,
C Vietnam, Lam Dong prov.

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9416 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:10:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not sure that it is A. (Nysina) orientalis (White, 1853). Certainly, it is not A. (Nysina) rubriventris Gressitt, 1937, which has a different pronotal sculpture and elytral apex (here the holotype).
Nonetheless, the authors (White, 1853, p. 110; Gahan, 1906, p. 153-4) never described the pronotal ridge of your specimens for A. orientalis.
By more carefully examining your specimen, I noticed that the left 6th antennomere has a broken spine (entire the right one); hence, I think that it belongs to Allotraeus (s. str.).
Go to Top of Page

Max
Member Rosalia

Russia
713 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  22:59:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Oh, and here all is uneasy...
Many thanks for the links, Francesco!
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9416 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  21:36:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to BioLib, the only two species of Allotraeus (s. str.) are A. sphaerioninus Bates, 1877 and A. grahami Gressitt, 1937.
The latter one, with brown legs, is endemic from China, while the former, with black legs, is commonly quoted as endemic from Japan.
Nonetheless, this site provides a specimen from Korea and the book of Iconography of Chinese Longicorn quotes this species from Taiwan.
I think that some of those species are misidentified... however, it is a topic to be investigated further.
Go to Top of Page

Max
Member Rosalia

Russia
713 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  22:38:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
It is really looks like spherioninus from Taiwan, (but I do not see spines on the antennae on the photo)
other variant
At the Japanese beetles the spines too short, on 3-5 antennomeres... only in females, perhaps?
In any case, my beetle has shorter elytra, in my view. New? Possible
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9416 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  12:54:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Possible.
According to the descriptions I have (Plavilstshikov, 1932, Bestimmungstabellen) both males and females have spines on the antennomeres III-VI or III-VII, while Nysina has spines on the antennomeres III-V. Possibly some Nysina-species of BioLib are erroneously positioned or even described; I have to check all descriptions.
However, I have inserted the original description of A. spaherioninus here.
If you decide to describe a new species, it should be confronted with specimens from Japan, not from other countries.

I have some photocopies of the Fauna of Laos (Gressitt & Rondon), where only A. (Nysina) orientalis (typical locality: Assam) is mentioned.
Plavilstshikov (1931: 197-8) synonymised such species with Pseudallotraeus atripes Pic, 1923 from Laos... maybe they were not the same species...
Go to Top of Page

Xavier
Scientific Collaborator

France
12065 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  08:51:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
To compare with Holotype here.
Go to Top of Page

Max
Member Rosalia

Russia
713 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  21:55:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
M-mm.. Very similar to my beetle certainly. I really don`t see any differences other then the coloration. But my ex. have red underside except black metathorax and hind coxae (in contrast). And it`s brightly reddish not so sombre. Maybe this feature is not just variability..
Thank You Xavier!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page