Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sergi
Member Rosenbergia

Spain
1741 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2019 :  17:53:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me if there is any article explaining that Agapanthia suturalis is synonymous with cardui ???

In this web explains the synonymy but I can't find the paper that explains that.

http://iberfauna.mncn.csic.es/showficha.aspx?rank=T&idtax=98433

Edited by - Sergi on 15/09/2019 17:54:58

Xavier
Scientific Collaborator

France
12118 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2019 :  00:17:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
In Titan database, these species are valid. Idem in Biolib.

Edited by - Xavier on 16/09/2019 00:20:41
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2019 :  07:36:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does results to me that these species have been put in synonymy after the revalidation of suturalis.

Nevertheless, I raised some doubts in my book of Cerambycidae from Luxembourg (here, p. 118-119):
A. cardui (s. l.) is widespread in the western Palaearctic from Spain to the Middle East.
Sama (2002) pointed out the presence of two "phenotypes", dominating in Europe (cardui = pannonica) or in the south Mediterranean (suturalis), widely coexisting and intergrading in the northern Mediterranean.
According to Švácha (2001), larvae are clearly different, but no character was added supporting this claim.
Recently, Sama (2008) evidenced that some male genital characters (aedeagus and endophallic sclerites) are the best differential characters; nevertheless, leaving a still inconclusive situation. In fact, the evidenced characters still show a patent variability that might lead to split interpretations (further species? intraspecific variability?), while the author avoided to investigate coexisting populations in order to exclude the merging of genital characters. Actually, the presence of virtually unidentifiable specimens in mixed populations suggests that the taxa are probably able to interbreed, since sibling species tend to accentuate their differences in overlapping areas (Brown & Wilson, 1956).

Some specimens, like this one or this one, leave doubts.
Possibly, a genetical analyses of large populations might led to clarify this situation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page