| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Konstantin
Member Demonax

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  10:34:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Dear Sir,
could you please help me with ID of the following species.
At least to Genera if possible.
Lamiini (Daxata?)
Thank you!

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  09:21:03  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Daxata is right!
According to the description, it is Daxata (Taxada) sumatrensis von Breuning, 1961. This species is the only Daxata characterised by a large entire prae-median black band.
According to Breuning (1963), this species has been known from a single specimen coming from Sumatra (Museum of Lausanne).
Go to Top of Page

Konstantin
Member Demonax

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  10:44:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your help.
These two insects were caugth by me in Sabah, Borneo, Crocker Range.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  11:24:07  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Well, a new species from Borneo... it is not the first with such kind of distribution.
Breuning (1963) recorded from Borneo only Daxata (s. str.) camelus Pascoe, 1864, which is characterised by elytra with erected pubescence and two transversal black bands on the disc (here Pascoe's original picture).
Heffern also quoted in his catalogue of Bornean Cerambycidae D. (Taxada) ustulata Pascoe, 1866 and D. (Taxada) confusa Pascoe, 1869.
The former species has no transversal bands on the elytra but a longitudinal sub-humeral band, while you can find a picture of the latter in this paper (pag. 70, fig. 74, det. Gilmour).
Go to Top of Page

Konstantin
Member Demonax

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  17:57:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the links. So you suppose this is Daxata (Taxada) sumatrensis, just not included in the check list for Borneo, right?
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  23:16:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure. I can send you Breuning's key and descriptions as attachment, if you need them.
Go to Top of Page

Konstantin
Member Demonax

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  20:30:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Yes please, I will greatly appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  21:19:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I have seen that in some web-sites such as this there is a beetle like yours called D. ustulata
On the contrary, the true ustulata is a very different species: this is the picture of Pascoe's original paper (1866, Proc. Zool. Soc. London, Pl. XXVII, Fig. 4).
Actually, I do not know whether the record of ustulata for Borneo is a correct date.
Go to Top of Page

Konstantin
Member Demonax

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  12:38:00  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I agree, the species from Borneo does not look like ustulata; these may be D. sumatrensis, just not included in the list for Borneo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page