Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  19:24:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Probably one more example of a species close to the Indo-Pacific fauna.
Collected in Tanzania.
Length 9 mm.
Merionoeda or Merionoedina?

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  20:11:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Merionoeda surely; Merionoedina has entire elytra and resembles to Kunbir.
It seems to me Merionoeda africana Distant, 1899.
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  10:43:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I found the original description of Merionoeda africana and it does not correspond to the beetle in photo.
According to the description “anterior and intermediate legs … ochraceous”, which is not the case here.
The description of pronotum is also different. In Merionoeda africana, it should have “a central longitudinal linear incision and a large discal foveate impression, its lateral margins slightly convex and pilose”. It is almost opposite in my beetle: the pronotum has a strongly elevated central smooth line, which looks almost as a rib (especially in the region of a deep basal depression) and 2 oblique side elevations, so that the whole smooth area resembles a backward trident. A very prominent feature are also vertical lateral stripes of golden pubescence parallel to the front margins of pronotum (can be barely seen in the photo), which is not mentioned in the description. Finally, “Pronotum about half as long again as the head…” does not correspond to the beetle in photo. (Sorry for the quality of the photo. That is why I give such a detailed description).
Is it possible to find a list of African Merionoeda? There should not be too many species.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  11:58:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for this misidentification, Vitali: I have got M. africana in my collection at home, but I did not remember all these features.
Here I have got the description of M. acutipennis Villiers, 1968 from Congo, but it does not correspond to your specimen. I will look for further African species.
Go to Top of Page

Littlebeetle23
Member Purpuricenus

France
296 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  19:44:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
This is a typical Merionoeda africana aethiopica Adlbauer, 1994.
The differential diagnosis with M. africana africana is the colour of the legs and the pilosity of the pronotum...
In the literature, this subspecies is only known from Ethiopia, from the south in the Omo Valley (where I collected some specimens), not far from the Kenya border.
Merionoeda congoensis is the only other species from this genus (at my knowledge).
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  20:24:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have also found the description of M. congolensis Hintz, 1919 from Zaire, which is characterised by the second abdominal segment yellow instead of black
Well... a new record to signalise, Vitali!
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  10:13:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Well, I am glad you were right about the species, Francesco. Very interesting indeed. Such big differences between subspecies.
Besides, Merionoeda africana was described from Lydenburg area in the Republic of South Africa. The subspecies M. a. aethiopica – from Ethiopia.
Merionoeda africana (nominative subspecies?) is mentioned by Sakalian & Georgiev, 2011 from Kenya.
My beetle, M. a. aethiopica, was collected in Ruvuma region, in the extreme south of Tanzania (closer to the type locality).
Francesco, if we stay with M. a. aethiopica, then please change the name also in the subject line of this ad. There is M. a. africana now.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  10:19:03  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed °_°
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page