Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  20:38:00  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

This female makes me think of Rhaphipodus wallacei.
I have these in my collection and they seem to be very similar.
I do not have any documents on this genus.
Do you agree?

Edited by - Capitaine on 29/01/2016 10:24:28

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  11:43:00  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Vietnam only Rhaphipodus fatalis Lameere, 1912 and R. fruehstorferi Lameere, 1903 are present.
The former species has smooth elytra, the latter one granulate. Hence, I argue the former one, though your female does not perfectly correspond to the original description (of the male) in the posterior margin of the pronotum. In fact, both Indochinese Rhaphipodus species have this margin denticulate, while your female has it smooth, just as R. wallacii.
Go to Top of Page

Cuong Do
Member Purpuricenus

Vietnam
112 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2011 :  23:59:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Send Cuong Do a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

I maybe also have the same species from North Vietnam, it look the same Fig. 3 d in Gressitt et al. 1970 (also female).
Maybe the male is different...
Go to Top of Page

Cuong Do
Member Purpuricenus

Vietnam
112 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  00:09:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Send Cuong Do a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, the Fig 3d in Gressitt 1970 is male, R. fruhstoferi with smooth elytra and posterior margin of pronotum also not denticulate!
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  19:17:08  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not Gressitt's book under the eyes, but it is possible that some figures are inverted. I remember that the copy a read at Genoa's Museum had an Errata at the end.
However, R. fruhstorferi should be characterised (both male and female) by granulated elytra.
Go to Top of Page

Cuong Do
Member Purpuricenus

Vietnam
112 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  02:55:07  Show Profile  Email Poster  Send Cuong Do a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much.
Go to Top of Page

Cuong Do
Member Purpuricenus

Vietnam
112 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:51:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Send Cuong Do a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Dear Francesco, I still confuse about Gressitt figures, because there only 2 species of the genus in Laos also.
The Fig 3d is exactly the species of the photo that we sent before. I check some other photos from the internet of the species, it looks that the posterior margin of pronotum are quite stable (without denticulate) and clearly difference from R. fatalis as Fig. 3c. I am very confusing now...
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  21:31:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Well, thank you for your scan.
This is the original description of fatalis, which I translate:
"It differs from R. gahani Lam. in its tarsi, which are normal, larger, with the lobes of the 3dr joint well developed, the last joint neither longer than other ones united nor as long as; front tarsi very feebly enlarged. The elytra do not show any traces of granulation; they are smooth and shining, with some large isolated points and some extremely feeble ridges, such as R. gahani."

The presence of denticulation on the basal margin of the pronotum is not stated; however, your specimen seems to have such denticulation.
The differences concerning the tarsi are unclear; nonetheless, Gressitt's picture clearly shows a fatalis (Fig. 3c) with normal tarsi and a fruhstorferi (Fig. 3d) with enlarged tarsi, well corresponding to the description.
I think that the denticulation of the pronotum is a few important character, The differences of tarsi might only concern males, but this character seems to be present in your specimens as well!
A close picture of the elytral surface (with oblique light in order to evidence the surface) might help to identify it.
Go to Top of Page

Cuong Do
Member Purpuricenus

Vietnam
112 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  01:19:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Send Cuong Do a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Francesco,
The surface of elytra is fit well to the description of R. fatalis: smooth and shining.
The tarsi character is clearly show that the Fig 3c in the scan is not R. fatalis. Hence what is the thing of Fig 3c?
I think that problem only be fix with photos of holotype of both species.
Best wishes,
Cuong
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9431 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  07:48:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think it is better.
I will go just to Brussels in the next times.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page