Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Cerambycinae
 Callidiini
 China: Phymatodes (Poecilium) latefasciatus n. sp.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nalslan Posted - 29/01/2013 : 14:21:45

Phymatodes maaki (maacki?)?
8mm, Guizhou, China.
Sorry for the bad shape of the creature.
AFAI, Phymatodes maaki is a species distributed in eastern Russia, Korea, Japan, maybe Northeaster China and Taiwan, but not southern China.
However, this is the closest one I can get (though shape of the second white strip on the elytra of this guy is a little different from the one I found on cerambycoidea.com).
Any comments? Thanks.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gerard Posted - 07/01/2014 : 17:20:05
Thank you very much and congratulations.
Vitali Posted - 07/01/2014 : 12:59:32
Congratulations! And thanks for the Acknowledgements as well.
Xavier Posted - 07/01/2014 : 12:54:31
Congratulations !!!
znort Posted - 07/01/2014 : 12:45:13
Great Shulin good work....
Francesco Posted - 06/01/2014 : 18:28:42
Wow!!!

Many compliments Shulin!!!!

nalslan Posted - 06/01/2014 : 15:31:27
Dear colleagues, this species was finally named as Phymatodes (Poecilium) latefasciatus n. sp.
You can find a pdf here:
Thank all of you, it would not be without the help of you.
Francesco Posted - 27/04/2013 : 13:39:43
quote:
Originally posted by nalslan

I think it is about time to consider seriously whether or not to get it a new name.

Let's do it!
nalslan Posted - 24/04/2013 : 17:40:13
I was very lucky to get another one individual of this species (I caught only two in the field for a whole week from a location which is about 100km away, :(...another is a Phytoecia rufriventris). I think it is about time to consider seriously whether or not to get it a new name.

150.44 KB

Too bad, the elytra are not closed seamlessly together again, maybe it is an evidence that these two guys are from a new species and this is trait for them to distinguish from others, .
Francesco Posted - 06/02/2013 : 13:49:37
quote:

I am not sure whether it is appropriate to post his photos.

It is better no.
Maybe your specimen really deserves a new name!
nalslan Posted - 06/02/2013 : 11:20:06
quote:
Originally posted by Francesco

I have noticed that Phymatodes (Poecilium) mizunumai Hayashi, 1974 is present in Taiwan.
I have no found pictures in the Web, but the book of Iconography describes is as "head, prothorax and antennae black";
There are two pictures as well, but not very clearly defined.
Francesco, thanks for pointing out that.
I grabbed my another book, Dr. Chou W. I.'s The Atlas of Taiwanese Cerambyciae 2nd Ed., there are 3 photos of P. (Poecilium) mizunumai (I am not sure whether it is appropriate to post his photos).
Their antennae are reddish brown, and their shapes of legs and 2nd white strips are different from my specimen too.
Francesco Posted - 03/02/2013 : 09:35:19
I have noticed that Phymatodes (Poecilium) mizunumai Hayashi, 1974 is present in Taiwan.
I have no found pictures in the Web, but the book of Iconography describes is as "head, prothorax and antennae black";
There are two pictures as well, but not very clearly defined.
nalslan Posted - 31/01/2013 : 02:30:51
Much thanks to you guys again!
Max's beetles and photo taking skill are amazing!!
Max Posted - 30/01/2013 : 18:21:48

Female of Phymatodes maacki from Lazovsky district.
Shape of elytral stripes so variable.. But I'm never seen dilatation of stripe to suture
Vitali Posted - 30/01/2013 : 11:37:59
There is a remarkable feature that distinguishes P. maacki from the upper beetle. Chitin is white under the second white band, while the background is black under white pubescence in the upper beetle.
Such character works well for Xylotrechus rusticus and X. pantherinus. Can this be a good character also in Phymatodes?
Francesco Posted - 30/01/2013 : 10:48:43
quote:

Thank you all. My mind was out of focus last night due to staying late, and missed Phymatodes as Phytomades, or might have been affected the phyto- prefix too much.
No problem. Usually, I correct such errors, but yesterday the number of topic was too elevated.

By using Gressitt's key, I can only reach P. maaki, since the pattern is evidently white.
Nonetheless, we can detect several differences (shape of legs, colour of antennae, size of the basal red part of the elytra, etc.).

I have not got long series of maaki (it would be very nice if Max could send the picture of a pair ), but if you does not find further Poecilium-species from China in BioLib or in Titan Base, we should conclude that it is about a new species...

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page