Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Cerambycinae
 Strongylurini
 New Caledonia: Strongylurus unidens

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pierre Posted - 14/10/2013 : 21:40:09

512.17 KB

New Caledonia, 21 to 23mm.
I would say, some Ceresium species.
Someone can help?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cerambyphil Posted - 18/11/2013 : 15:20:00
Hello,
I can answer to your question about the synonym between Coptopterus and Strongylurus. You can read in McKEOWN, 1940 p. 302 the following text :

"While this paper was in the press, Mr. G. P. Whitley, Ichthyologist, Australian Museum, kindly drew my attention to the fact that Strongylurus Hope, 1834, was preoccupied by Strongylura V. Hasselt, 1823, for a genus of fishes (fide Sheriborn, Index Animalium).The name Coptopterus Hope, 1834, must now be used for this genus."

Nevertheless, under article 56(a) of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (1961) a single letter is sufficient to
distinguish two genera. Thus Strongylurus must be retained as the correct generic name and Coptopterus is retained in synonymy. (Elliot & McDonald, 1972)

Francesco Posted - 19/10/2013 : 20:57:16
...ja, ich habe Coptocerus im dritten Satz geschrieben und sollte Coptopterus schreiben... aber die taxonomische Rede ist richtig.
Xaurus Posted - 19/10/2013 : 20:45:25
Dear Francesco, did you have a mistake with the genus ?
Pierre Posted - 18/10/2013 : 19:13:55
Well then... dead-end...
Francesco Posted - 17/10/2013 : 12:39:49
Dear Pierre, I do not know who synonymized Coptopterus with Strongylurus, but these names appear together in the revision of Strongylurus made by Elliot & McDonald (1972; here the summary).

Notice that these genera are often mentioned as 1834, but in reality they were published only in 1841, since both type species ware not described until 1841...

Coptocerus was based on Stenochorus cretifer Hope, 1841 (actually, nomen nudum).
By basing on this species (here), I have some doubts on Vives' identification...
Pierre Posted - 17/10/2013 : 08:01:07
Xaurus, thank you for your comment. A short database-research in BioLib and Titan tends to confirm it.
In their paper(2011),

Contribution to the study of longhorns from New Caledonia, II (Coleoptera, Cerambycidae)
Les Cahiers Magellanes (NS) 4: 65-90, 18 figs.,

Vives et al. cite Coptopterus spinosus (Fauvel) and Coptopterus unidens (Fauvel). The short description and the photo of unidens do confirm at least that we have here the good genus.

By the way the genus Coptopterus Hope, 1834 has been synonymized with Strongylurus Hope, 1834 (??!? same author, same year ?!), belonging to the Strongylurini tribe.
Xaurus Posted - 17/10/2013 : 01:46:16
Coptopterus unidens Fauvel according Vives

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page