Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Saperdini
 Borneo, Oberea: gracillima ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gerard Posted - 05/06/2017 : 14:29:00

160.93 KB

MALAISIE, Ile de Borneo, Sabah, Trus Madi, taille 15 mm
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
znort Posted - 10/01/2024 : 16:52:57
Xavier, it could be interesting to post your gracilima fron laos to compare with my specimens from Zhejiang
Xavier Posted - 07/06/2017 : 23:27:29
I agree, and I wait to compare my specimens from Laos to this one from Borneo; they are probably only twin species...
dryobius Posted - 07/06/2017 : 20:32:53
For my part, I do not believe that O. gracillima can be so widespread. I think that many people believe that if something is a close match to a description written by Pascoe or Breuning, then they have identified it correctly.

Some of the books by inexperienced taxonomists have plenty of bad information in them. I have several species from Borneo that have the same basic body shape and color as O. gracillima.

I believe that a scientist should make a very careful attempt to identify a species in a genus which has so much chaos, unless he has some authority in that group. And in all cases, he should inform others whether or not he has seen the type or is basing his decision on a published paper.
Xavier Posted - 07/06/2017 : 17:16:57
I wrote that Oberea gracilima Pasc. is a widespread species because it is known ( by different authors) from Sumatra, Japan, Taiwan, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, India, Korea, China...
dryobius Posted - 07/06/2017 : 15:52:21
How do know that O. gracillima is a widespread species? Is that what Breuning has written? Sometimes he may correct, but a broken watch shows the correct time twice per day.

Characters that I observe in Bornean Oberea are, of course, punctuation and its arrangement on the pronotum and elytra, and also whether the apex of the elytra is unispinose, bispinose, or truncate.

I will try to assemble some nice photographs of my specimens in the future. I also look for students who have time to revise the genus.

Xavier Posted - 06/06/2017 : 17:03:18
Hello Dan,
This group is very difficult, but we can try something...
I have O. gracillima from Laos. It is a widespread species, and I wonder if this one from Borneo could be the same. Pronotum has a lot of transversal ridges, so I am not sure it the same.
dryobius Posted - 06/06/2017 : 13:17:29
Xavier, Gerard

I have over 40 different unidentified species of Oberea (or close) from Sabah. I am sure there are more because I am not the only collector who has material from there. Honestly, I have given up any attempt at trying to identify this genus until somebody assembles photographs of all the types, including dorsal and lateral views, and close-up views of the pronota. I also see what appears to be some sexual dimorphism. So I am not completely sure how many different species I have.
Xavier Posted - 05/06/2017 : 20:20:12
Probablement Oberea gracillima Pascoe, 1867 , décrite de Sumatra, mais pas signalée de Borneo dans la base Titan.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page