Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Gyaritini
 Singapore: Pseudoloessa bispinosa

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
loongfah Posted - 05/04/2013 : 17:08:39

350.76 KB

167.64 KB

315.32 KB
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Francesco Posted - 05/04/2016 : 11:13:48
After our recent revision of Gyaritini (here), this species belongs to the new genus Pseudoloessa.
Thus, the new name is Pseudoloessa bispinosa (Breuning, 1960).
Xaurus Posted - 01/12/2015 : 12:08:16
description of G. inspinosus in:
BREUNING Stephan, 1947. Nouvelles formes de Longicornes du Musée de Stockholm. Arkiv för Zoologi, Uppsala 39A (6): 1-68. 12 février 1947

Francesco Posted - 30/11/2015 : 18:19:26
It is Gyaritodes bispinosus Breuning, 1960, only known from Borneo.
Xaurus Posted - 10/04/2013 : 00:28:18
Compared with the type picture of Z. fasciatus Fisher, 1925 in the Smithonian your sps Shinichi is very similar or even the same like this, but I think diff to those from Loongfah. At all very nice small creatures .
Beckey Posted - 08/04/2013 : 16:03:21
I collected my specimens in Peninsula Malaysia.
I think Loong Fah's specimen might be rather teneral.
I confirm that all of my 8 specimens have elytral spines.
Consequently, it isn't sexdimorphal feature in my opinion.
Francesco Posted - 08/04/2013 : 13:31:25
quote:
Originally posted by loongfah
It seems there are only 4 described Oloessa species, all in the Australasian region, with the nearest geographical location being the O.minuta mentioned by Francesco.

Actually, all other 3 species were described from Fiji!
Here their original pictures:

Oloessa poeta, O. bianor, O. cenea

The original paper could be download here.
There is no mention of sexual difference concerning the basal tubercle; however, the geographic distribution should suggest that Oloessa minuta is more related to Bornean than to Fijian taxa.
Xaurus Posted - 08/04/2013 : 00:35:02
I have 1 spms of Z. fasciatus from Borneo (I don't know which sex, without genitals extraction), and this is diff from Loong Fah's spms.
Its interesting to know, are the elytral spines a sexdimorphal feature or not .
What's about your spms Shinichi - are both sex without spines, or not ?
loongfah Posted - 07/04/2013 : 05:22:30
Dear Andrea and Shinichi, thanks for the further suggestions!

Indeed both Dyemus and Zeargyrodes have antennal structure closer to my specimen.
I think Dyemus is less likely because in my specimen, the scape is comparatively thicker more at the apical end rather than the basal end; there is also no mention of the elytral spine for Dyemus.

Shinichi, where are your specimens collected?
They look very similar indeed, except for the different shades of brown in the antennae and legs.

Not sure if this is the Zeargyrodes fasciatus (this is a monotypic genus) though.
Fisher described this species from a single female collected in Borneo, and although he has a very long description for the species, there is no mention of the elytral spines and the depression behind the spines. Under the description for the genus, he described it as "Elytra moderately elongate, unarmed at base, flattened on basal half, strongly convex posteriorly".
Seems interpretable in either way?
Other differences include "Antennae uniformly black", "Length 4.5mm", which might be due to gender difference? I also cannot ascertain if underneath, my specimen has the following character "last (abdomen) segment feebly depressed near apex and the surface with an obsolete longitudinal median line;" Otherwise, all the other details match very well indeed.

Are the spines a sexually dimorphic character? A side view of the Smithsonian type specimen will be very revealing.
Beckey Posted - 07/04/2013 : 01:25:53

80.86#160;KB

Until I read this topic, I thought this beetle belonged to the genus Zeargyrodes.
(http://www.smithsoniancerambycidae.com/default.asp?Action=Show_Types&Single_Type=True&TypeID=1892)
What do you think about it?
I have 8 specimens same as my photo.
Xaurus Posted - 06/04/2013 : 16:43:30
I can offer a 3rd idea: Loong Fah's sps don't belong to Oloessa minuta, I have this sps from Neuguinea (compared with the type in BMNH), with quite diff scapus and elytral spines.
Maybe this sps belongs to the genus Dyemus Pascoe, however the type material in London is in very bad condition.
Francesco Posted - 06/04/2013 : 15:17:10
Well. I move the topic in the secret section, waiting for your description.
loongfah Posted - 06/04/2013 : 14:43:55
Thanks everyone for your help! These are very fascinating genera.

It seems there are only 4 described Oloessa species, all in the Australasian region, with the nearest geographical location being the O.minuta mentioned by Francesco. From Pascoe's description of O. minuta, there are a few differences with my specimen, like (in minuta) pronotum punctures few and distant, the long and recurved spine, the seventh and eigth joints of antenna dark at the tips.
dryobius Posted - 06/04/2013 : 13:52:59
of course it is not Gyaritus, as Francesco stated.

Gyaritus will usually have a spine on the side of the pronotum which you can see. Otherwise, they look a little like Pteropliini.
Xavier Posted - 06/04/2013 : 10:08:53
Well, I didn't know this genus; thanks Francesco, and sorry Loongfah!
Francesco Posted - 06/04/2013 : 09:19:42
No, this species belongs to the genus Oloessa (Cyrtinini).
Below the original drawings of Oloessa minuta Pascoe, 1864 (from the Moluccas!).

90.55 KB

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page