Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Morimopsini
 Malaysia: Obages tuberculipennis

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
orionmystery Posted - 23/03/2013 : 10:53:53

192.06KB

Hi Francesco, this one is from Fraser's Hill, Pahang.
Tiny one, only about 11mm excluding antennae.

PS: sorry, not too sure which section to post in.
Please move it if necessary. Thanks!

Kurt
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beckey Posted - 08/04/2017 : 14:29:39
Today, I confirm the description of Obages tuberculipennis Breuning, 1961.

It fits perfectly and I agree with Jerome Sudre.

#3 in my series is Obages tuberculipennis Breuning, 1961.

This species is easily distinguishable from another species by longitudinal rows of cusps on Elytra and body size.

O. tuberculipennnis (Holotype:13mm) in my collection are 13.0-15.5mm (7 specimens).

Another species are 6.8-10.4mm (42 specimens).
dryobius Posted - 04/09/2016 : 04:28:23
# 7 and # 3 are different.

I have 8 specimens which are all perfectly identical to your # 3, which Sudre called O. tuberculipennis. The pubescence on the elytra is arranged in rows, neatly in little "tufts" of hair. I don't know how well Sudre has studied this group. For me, it is impossible to know the names when there are new, similar species. Based on your photos, there could be 7 species of Obages in West Malaysia.

I have another series of specimens similar to #2, but I have not studied them. I also have several that seem to be close to O. cameroni.

Beckey Posted - 04/09/2016 : 00:31:49
According to Pascoe (Catalogue of Longicorn Coleoptera,collected in the Island of Penang by James Lamb,Esq. By Francis P.Pascoe, F.L.S., F.Z.S., &c, late Pres. Ent.'Soc.' on page 222), "The insects are not ticketed ; so it is impossible for me to say which came from the mainland and which from the island.", so O. palparis may occur in mainland of Peninsular Malaysia.
Beckey Posted - 03/09/2016 : 22:34:47
Thank you for your information, Dan.

69.88#160;KB

I find out 7th species in my Obages collection as below.
Isn't it same as you mentioned?
dryobius Posted - 01/09/2016 : 02:59:59
I have several species of Obages from several locations in West Malaysia. Some of them were identified by Jerome Sudre about 10 years ago.

# 3 in Beckey's series is identical to what Sudre named as O. tuberculipennis Breuning, 1961, in my collection. My series is consistent with all specimens having the pubescent vitta on the pronotum and the tufts of pubescence on the elytra much more pronounced than Beckey's # 2.
Beckey Posted - 23/04/2013 : 23:23:37
Dear Andreas,

Thank you for your valuable information!

I understand the difficulty of study about this genus.

According to my collection, species no.2 in my photo has wide individual variety.

So, I'm not sure that O.flavosticticus and O. tuberculosus are synonym or not.
Xaurus Posted - 22/04/2013 : 23:26:38
Hallo,

now I have checked my Obages sps, in my coll there are O. cameroni (Nr 6 from pict above), O. flavosticticus (near Nr. 2) and O. tuberculosus (det. with cf.). So, Shinichi your spms 1-5 are different from my, sure there are n. sp. include. Maybe anybody can provide us with the type pict of O. flavosticticus, O. tuberculipennis Breuning, 1961 and the first described sps O. palparis Pascoe, 1866. But I think the id of this difficult sps are impossible without type studies.
I post here the types of two Obages sps !

378.47KB
Xaurus Posted - 26/03/2013 : 21:36:00
Dear Beckey,

interesting series of Obages spec., I have already id 3 species of the genus from Malaysia at home (recently we are in holiday in Mallorca), later I can check my species, nearly sure is O. cameroni, I have a type picture at home. There are some new species in this genus (I think species 3-4 from your series).

Andreas
Francesco Posted - 26/03/2013 : 07:29:36
Thank you for this series Beckey!
It is not easy to identify them, even having the descriptions
Beckey Posted - 26/03/2013 : 02:42:25
O. palparis occurs in Penang island.
Penang Hill rises 830 m in alt. and is the highest mountain on Penang.
By the way, I collected many Obages beetles (6 species) in Peninsula Malaysia except Penang over 1000 m above sea level mainly 1700-2000 m.
So, I hesitate to say O. palparis occurs also in Peninsula including Fraser's Hill.
Incidentally, Kurt's beetle is the g2h in my opinion.

183.98KB
orionmystery Posted - 24/03/2013 : 15:16:25
Thank you, Francesco
Francesco Posted - 24/03/2013 : 14:23:56
Very nice species, Kurt!
Similar to Obages palparis Pascoe, 1866 (Morimopsini), but I am not sure whether it is the same
I wait for Dan.

48.37KB

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page