Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Tmesisternini
 Sulawesiella

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SDevesa Posted - 16/04/2024 : 12:30:16
Enclosed 6 specimens of Sulawesiella rafaelae (Lansberge, 1885).

I can see several differences, for example: shape of the pronotum, antennae colour, tibiae colour. In addition, the last three are significantly smaller.

It is only specific variations or it is something else? I have read a lot of descriptions of new species with less differences (which I don't agree...)

Saludos
Sergio
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xavier Posted - 19/04/2024 : 07:10:12
Well, let's try to find more specimens.
SDevesa Posted - 18/04/2024 : 19:04:44
That's why I decided not write his name!!! I clearly see that the anterior part of the pronotum is quiet different
Xavier Posted - 18/04/2024 : 18:23:51
He's not a good friend.
SDevesa Posted - 18/04/2024 : 17:57:22
A friend suggest me that the last three specimens could be Tmesistarsus albari Withaar,2009 . Any comment?

Sergio
SDevesa Posted - 17/04/2024 : 13:27:46
Dan:
Thank you for your comments. I agree with you about the sex of the specimens, but confuses me the male of specimen 3 and the others, specially the shape of the pronotum.

By the way, Can some body send me the PDF of this paper:

WEIGEL Andreas & WITHAAR Gerrit, 2006
Notes on the taxonomy of the genera Tmesisternopsis Breuning, 1945 and Tmesisternus Latreille, 1829 (Coleoptera, Cerambycidae, Tmesisternini), with description of a new genus from Sulawesi
Journal of the Zoological Society Wallacea 2: 67-71.

Saludos
Sergio

dryobius Posted - 17/04/2024 : 13:00:16
Sergio,

Your first two images are of females, the last four are males. I believe they are all one, extremely common species. The more common a species, the more variation is observed.

Males of Temsisternini generally have wider pronota which could be variable.

It would be helpful to know if these beetles are mimicking something distasteful in their environment, such as a hemipteran.

Dan
Xavier Posted - 16/04/2024 : 16:45:58
Have a look here.I made the same observation as you (Big difference in size, colour, etc).

Unfortunately, I couldn't go any further because a small beetle had devoured the inside of the obdomen and the genitals of the only male that looked different from all the specimens I have in my collection.

I also think that there may be several species under the name of Sulawesiella rafaelae (Lansberge, 1885)...or specific variations!

It would therefore be necessary to extract male genitalia from series of specimens. Here are the genitalia of a male, for comparison:

191.42 KB

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page