Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Cerambycidae Cerambycinae
 Callidiini
 China: Phymatodes (Poecilium) latefasciatus n. sp.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nalslan
Member Purpuricenus

China
297 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  14:21:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Phymatodes maaki (maacki?)?
8mm, Guizhou, China.
Sorry for the bad shape of the creature.
AFAI, Phymatodes maaki is a species distributed in eastern Russia, Korea, Japan, maybe Northeaster China and Taiwan, but not southern China.
However, this is the closest one I can get (though shape of the second white strip on the elytra of this guy is a little different from the one I found on cerambycoidea.com).
Any comments? Thanks.

Edited by - nalslan on 30/01/2013 02:20:34

Max
Member Rosalia

Russia
713 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  15:47:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Why "Phytomades"?
Phymatodes (Poecilium) maacki Kraatz, 1879
This species associated with grape, Vitis amurensis.
Go to Top of Page

Max
Member Rosalia

Russia
713 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  16:03:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
By the way, exemplar from Guizhou is peculiar ratherish.. Versus russian beetles from mainland.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  16:07:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find more affinities with Phymatodes (Poecilium) savioi Pic, 1935...
Go to Top of Page

Max
Member Rosalia

Russia
713 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  16:40:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I agree, objectively, if judge on picture. But I do not know true difference between them...
Go to Top of Page

nalslan
Member Purpuricenus

China
297 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  02:38:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you all. My mind was out of focus last night due to staying late, and missed Phymatodes as Phytomades, or might have been affected the phyto- prefix too much.

I tried this beetle by Gressitt's key (1951). The first elytral white strip of P. savioi reaches elytral suture, and only the swelling part of hind femur is black. For my beetle, the first strip does not reach elytral suture and swelling parts of all femurs are black. So I excluded P. savioi for my specimen.

There is another species, P. semenovi Plavilstshikov 1935, which is native to Guizhou. But according to Gressitt's key, it belongs to subgenus Phymotodellus, not Poecillium.

Headache...

Anyway, thank you all again!

Edited by - nalslan on 30/01/2013 02:41:40
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  10:48:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nalslan

Thank you all. My mind was out of focus last night due to staying late, and missed Phymatodes as Phytomades, or might have been affected the phyto- prefix too much.
No problem. Usually, I correct such errors, but yesterday the number of topic was too elevated.

By using Gressitt's key, I can only reach P. maaki, since the pattern is evidently white.
Nonetheless, we can detect several differences (shape of legs, colour of antennae, size of the basal red part of the elytra, etc.).

I have not got long series of maaki (it would be very nice if Max could send the picture of a pair ), but if you does not find further Poecilium-species from China in BioLib or in Titan Base, we should conclude that it is about a new species...
Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  11:37:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
There is a remarkable feature that distinguishes P. maacki from the upper beetle. Chitin is white under the second white band, while the background is black under white pubescence in the upper beetle.
Such character works well for Xylotrechus rusticus and X. pantherinus. Can this be a good character also in Phymatodes?
Go to Top of Page

Max
Member Rosalia

Russia
713 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  18:21:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Female of Phymatodes maacki from Lazovsky district.
Shape of elytral stripes so variable.. But I'm never seen dilatation of stripe to suture
Go to Top of Page

nalslan
Member Purpuricenus

China
297 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2013 :  02:30:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Much thanks to you guys again!
Max's beetles and photo taking skill are amazing!!
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  09:35:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have noticed that Phymatodes (Poecilium) mizunumai Hayashi, 1974 is present in Taiwan.
I have no found pictures in the Web, but the book of Iconography describes is as "head, prothorax and antennae black";
There are two pictures as well, but not very clearly defined.
Go to Top of Page

nalslan
Member Purpuricenus

China
297 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  11:20:06  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Francesco

I have noticed that Phymatodes (Poecilium) mizunumai Hayashi, 1974 is present in Taiwan.
I have no found pictures in the Web, but the book of Iconography describes is as "head, prothorax and antennae black";
There are two pictures as well, but not very clearly defined.
Francesco, thanks for pointing out that.
I grabbed my another book, Dr. Chou W. I.'s The Atlas of Taiwanese Cerambyciae 2nd Ed., there are 3 photos of P. (Poecilium) mizunumai (I am not sure whether it is appropriate to post his photos).
Their antennae are reddish brown, and their shapes of legs and 2nd white strips are different from my specimen too.

Edited by - nalslan on 06/02/2013 11:20:44
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  13:49:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not sure whether it is appropriate to post his photos.

It is better no.
Maybe your specimen really deserves a new name!
Go to Top of Page

nalslan
Member Purpuricenus

China
297 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2013 :  17:40:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I was very lucky to get another one individual of this species (I caught only two in the field for a whole week from a location which is about 100km away, :(...another is a Phytoecia rufriventris). I think it is about time to consider seriously whether or not to get it a new name.

150.44 KB

Too bad, the elytra are not closed seamlessly together again, maybe it is an evidence that these two guys are from a new species and this is trait for them to distinguish from others, .
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2013 :  13:39:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it is about time to consider seriously whether or not to get it a new name.

Let's do it!
Go to Top of Page

nalslan
Member Purpuricenus

China
297 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  15:31:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Dear colleagues, this species was finally named as Phymatodes (Poecilium) latefasciatus n. sp.
You can find a pdf here:
Thank all of you, it would not be without the help of you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page