| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2015 :  06:40:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

486.47 KB

I have seen that there has been numerous postings on Cereopsius (quaestor, praetorius, cabigasi ) from the Philippines.

Over the years I have seen a lot of variety among what I would consider to be quaestor and praetorius. The photograph shows a small percentage of the ones which I have seen.

In the attached photo, the specimens are all between 19 and 22mm. All the specimens in the first row are from Mindanao. In the 2nd row, #1 & 2 are from Mindoro, #3 is from Negros and #4-7 are from Panay.

The first specimen in the first rows is C. luctor (Newman), based on the presence of a distinct, small, oblique ridge near the humerus of the elytra. None of the remaining specimens have this feature. Vives (2005) only compared C. cabigasi with C. luctor and C. sexmaculatus ( a Bornean species).

As you can see, the markings on the pronotum are variable, the markings on the elytra are extremely variable, and 6th and 7th specimens in the first row and the 1st & 7th specimens in the second row have the 5th antennal segment mostly white.

I have never been convinced that C. cabigasi is a valid species. I thought it was very close to C. quaestor.

Anyway, I think that the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th specimens in the first row are all C. quaestor. And the 6th and 7th specimens in the first row and all of the specimens in the second row are C. praetorius.

I have never spent much time on my specimens from the Philippines. I would welcome any other observations.

Edited by - Xavier on 29/01/2016 11:22:23

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2015 :  10:09:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For me.
1st on 1st row Cereopsius luctor, agreed.
2nd, 3rd and 4th on 1st row look identical to specimens in my collection labelled as Cereopsius cabigasi, but.....I agree it is a real headache.
There seems to be a lot of variation and similarities going on.
Your last specimen even copies Cereopsius luhuanus elytral layout.
Go to Top of Page

Xaurus
Member Rosenbergia

Germany
1892 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2015 :  23:16:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
it's a good reason to study the male genitals of this high variable sps
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9408 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  15:26:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chemin & Vives (2017) recognised C. cabigasi Vives, 2005 as a synonym of. C. mimospilotus Breuning, 1980.

Paper available here.
Go to Top of Page

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2017 :  23:43:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Francesco.
Go to Top of Page

Bennyboymothman
Member Rosenbergia

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2017 :  23:43:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bennyboymothman's Homepage  Send Bennyboymothman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
O. I can't see the paper
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9408 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  19:31:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eduard could not receive the PDF yet.
Gérard is hunting.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9408 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2023 :  16:34:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dryobius
I have never been convinced that C. cabigasi is a valid species. I thought it was very close to C. quaestor.
As you supposed, Dan, mimospilotus, cabigasi and quaestor are the same species, or better: chromatic forms of the same species.
The synonymy, based on morphologic and genetic characters, is available here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page