| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2023 :  21:15:00  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

181.18 KB

Superbe species from Honduras, mount El Uyuca, 1500m.
By it's large seize (30mm) it recalls Enaphalodes. Someone can help?

Edited by - Xavier on 09/09/2023 23:18:15

Larry Bezark
Member Macrodontia

USA
2212 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2023 :  22:24:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Enaphalodes niveitectus (Schaeffer, 1905); not surprising, a nice southerly range extension.

Larry B.
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2023 :  05:54:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you Larry ! Indeed, your website indicates Mexico.

Edited by - Pierre on 10/09/2023 06:22:03
Go to Top of Page

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2023 :  14:48:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
from Lingafelter & Santos-Silva, 2018

"Enaphalodes bingkirki is generally very similar to E. niveitectus (Schaeffer, 1905) and E. monzoni, sp. nov.
It differs from E. niveitectus by having very dense erect, elytral setae (most easily seen from lateral view, Fig. 11), shorter antennae (extending to about apical sixth of elytra in females-males unknown), and the antennal tubercles only slightly elevated, flat, and rounded at their apices (Figs. 9, 12). Females (and presumably males) of
E. niveitectus have relatively longer antennae that surpass the elytral apex and the antennal tubercles are more elevated with acute apices. Other differences between E. bingkirki and E. niveitectus include more fragmented dense, appressed elytral pubescence in E. bingkirki ....

Before accepting that there is a population of E. niveitectus occurring 1000 miles away from other records, you should try to see if the above analysis can be done. Pubescent patterns are not 100% reliable. By the way, Vlasak (2018) recorded E. bingkirki from a location just a few miles away from Uyuca (Biologcal Station). For me, some species of Enaphalodes are difficult and confusing!!
Go to Top of Page

Larry Bezark
Member Macrodontia

USA
2212 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2023 :  17:36:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Good points Dan,

Larry B.
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2023 :  20:24:01  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

174.7 KB

369.85 KB
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2023 :  20:28:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I don't have the Lingafelter & Santos Silva-paper, so I can not compare with the figs. 9, 11 and 12. Dan, if you have a copy I would be interested!

The antennal tubercles are in my opinion quite flat and do not show acute apices. Regarding the erect elytral setae, I am not able to say if they are "dense" or not...
Go to Top of Page

Capitaine
Scientific Collaborator

France
1833 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2023 :  11:08:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, sparse in the figurative case, when "very dense" the supporting structure is hardly visible....

Claude
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2023 :  19:20:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
First of all: thank you, Dan, for the pdf. - I have now both papers, Lingafelter & Chemsak (2002) and Lingafelter & Santos-Silva, 2018. As a result, I must say that nothing appears fixed at 100% but most probably my beetle is niveitectus. The keys use some characters which are not easy to consider.

Especially the question of elevated or flatted antennal insertions is an ambiguous step. If I follow "elevated", I arrive at niveitectus. The "flattened" variant leads to bingkirki. Difficult to be sure if these insertions are elevated or not... Pro-and mesocoxal processes are in my specimen more of the niveitectus-type, as well as the 4th antennomeer which is "longer than median pronotal impunctate region".

Apparently, the hypothesis of a southern range extension of Enaphalodes niveitectus Larry mentionned could be confirmed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page