Author  Topic Next Topic  

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2023 :  19:11:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

249.67 KB

Peru, size 18 mm
Sent to me as a Hypsioma sp., but I suspect it to be Tulcus (no granulation at elytra). What can it be, T. crudus (Erichson, 1847), T. pullus (Dillon & Dillon, 1945) or anything else?

Larry Bezark
Member Macrodontia

USA
2212 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2023 :  21:52:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Vitali, I agree with Tulcus, and the two choices; this is a difficult group. The differences between pullus and crudus listed by Dillon and Dillon are very minor; I would go with the older taxon; in this case Tulcus crudus Erichson, 1847).

from Dillon and Dillon: Charoides pullus (now Tulcus) is closely related to C. cruda but differs in having the pronotum entirely unarmed laterally, and all discal tubercles elongate; the scutellum with the apex much more strongly produced and elevated on each side; the elytra with the basal gibbosities more prominent, the punctation finer and sparser, the median fascia narrow, not attaining suture, the posthumeral carina distinct and attaining the middle; and the entire surface less visibly mottled.

Regards,

Larry B.

Go to Top of Page

Vitali
Member Rosalia

Estonia
991 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2023 :  18:46:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Larry! I also went through the Dillon and Dillon's paper of 1945, but got rather more confused. The two species we are discussing here seem not to be a good choice as these must have pail 1/3 or 1/5 of the third antennal segment. This is not the case with my beetle. The third segment is dark testaceous in it, whereas this feature and some other like elytral punctuation, colour pattern etc fit T. amazonica (Thomson, 1860), which has not been reported from Peru. By the way, shouldn't it be T. amazonicus, if T. cruda and T. pulla were turned to T. crudus and T. pullus?
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page