Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Cerambycinae
 Trachyderini
 Identification Help: Trachyderes succinctus

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John Callwood Posted - 09/06/2008 : 20:02:00

This beetle was only seen on corn plants during the day, and it seems to have killed the corn it was spending its days amongst.
I was wondering if I could get some help with the ID, and maybe some info as to whether these beetles were really the cause of the corn's demise.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Francesco Posted - 24/06/2008 : 08:44:18
Your beetles belong to Trachyderes succinctus (Linnaeus, 1758), a beautiful well-known cerambycid widespread in all tropical South America and introduced in the Antilles.
I do not remember whether it has been already recorded from the Virgin Islands; however, it is about a xylophagous beetle, related to trees.
I know it attacks Inga ingoides (Icecream Bean) and Eucalyptus-trees, but it is surely related to other plants. It does not result to me it might be related to the corn…
John Callwood Posted - 10/06/2008 : 01:54:11
I don't know how much more info you need, but here is some weather info.
I am located in the Virgin Islands.
The area I am in gets 38.36" of ran per year, and the difference in rainfall varies from 1-5" from month to month. There are no real wet or dry seasons.
Average temperature is 81.48F, and generally varies between 72F and 90F degrees throughout the year.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page