Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic   

John Callwood
Member Nathrius

2 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  20:02:00  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

This beetle was only seen on corn plants during the day, and it seems to have killed the corn it was spending its days amongst.
I was wondering if I could get some help with the ID, and maybe some info as to whether these beetles were really the cause of the corn's demise.

Edited by - Gerard on 30/01/2016 12:14:10

John Callwood
Member Nathrius

2 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  01:54:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I don't know how much more info you need, but here is some weather info.
I am located in the Virgin Islands.
The area I am in gets 38.36" of ran per year, and the difference in rainfall varies from 1-5" from month to month. There are no real wet or dry seasons.
Average temperature is 81.48F, and generally varies between 72F and 90F degrees throughout the year.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9432 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  08:44:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your beetles belong to Trachyderes succinctus (Linnaeus, 1758), a beautiful well-known cerambycid widespread in all tropical South America and introduced in the Antilles.
I do not remember whether it has been already recorded from the Virgin Islands; however, it is about a xylophagous beetle, related to trees.
I know it attacks Inga ingoides (Icecream Bean) and Eucalyptus-trees, but it is surely related to other plants. It does not result to me it might be related to the corn…
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page