Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Lamiini
 Philippine, Cereopsius: luctor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BillTyson Posted - 14/03/2015 : 14:57:15

30.43 KB

I've seen this called Cereopsius affinis.
It looks like a lightly marked C. luctor but I have never seen a confirmed affinis.
Anyone have some thoughts on this one?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BillTyson Posted - 16/03/2015 : 04:10:20
Francesco: I will check all my specimens for the characters you list. I have sexmaculatus from Palawan which extends its range into the Philippines. thanks for the info.
Francesco Posted - 15/03/2015 : 22:32:17
The apical spot is well present in C. cabigasi!
According to the descriptor, C. cabigasi differs from C. luctor in the confluent pronotal spots and in the lacking of the white mesosternal spot. Moreover, the colour of the elytral spots is yellowish (whitish in C. luctor), nearly the same colour of the antennae.
There are some specimens in our Forum.
BillTyson Posted - 15/03/2015 : 21:48:20
Appreciate all the insight. As usual, something simple has become complex. Without a specimen in hand, I have been using the lack of apical spots to separate cabigasi from luctor. Apparently this is not a good, quick fix, when all you have is a photograph. thanks
dryobius Posted - 15/03/2015 : 15:49:33
http://www.cerambycoidea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19107&SearchTerms=cereopsius

Bill, I don't know if you saw this recent post. C. luctor has a ridge near the humerus which other Cereopsius in the Philippines lack.

I think it is unfortunate that C. cabigasi was described without a thorough study of this genus. It may be a good species... or maybe not. It may have already been described. The maculae on the elytra of Cereopsius vary to some extent in many species. C. sexmaculatus sometimes has just four. Sometimes C. vittipennis is not vittate.
BillTyson Posted - 14/03/2015 : 20:29:00
My thoughts as well. Keep seeing C. cabigasi being sold with the 6 spots as well. I believe it also only has 4. thanks
Francesco Posted - 14/03/2015 : 17:20:09
According to the original description, C. affinis should be similar to C. siamensis, which has four elytral spots.
Thus, it is C. luctor.

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page