Cerambycoidea Forum
Cerambycoidea Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Cerambycidae Lamiinae
 Tragocephalini
 Tragocephala Madagascar: jucunda?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Robert Perger Posted - 29/05/2009 : 21:10:48

Hi Francesco,
hope you are well.
I have attached a Tragocephala sp. from South-Madagascar.
Probably, Breuning described it 1934 (Etudes sur les Lamiaires. I. Tragocephalini.), but I don't have the publication and I don't know where to obtain.
Could you help me?
cheers,
Robert
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Robert Perger Posted - 11/06/2009 : 17:11:36
Hi Francesco,
thanks a lot for your reply, helpful as usual.
Robert
Francesco Posted - 02/06/2009 : 13:06:31
Dear Robert,
this might be a rare variety of T. jucunda, as the ringed antennae and the basal black spot on the pronotum suggest.
Breuning described several varieties until 1957. In the book about Malagasy Lamiinae (1957) I have the description of all. There is only a variety with the pronotal spot reduced to two basal spots (var. madagascariensis Künckel, 1890), but the elytral pattern of this form is complete.
In contrast, the pronotal and elytral pattern well correspond to the var. pauliani of T. pulchra (Waterhouse, 1880). This species was originally described as variety of jucunda, and later considered (Breuning, 1957) as bona species.
The only difference seems to be that pulchra has unicolour black antennae, but I am not sure about such particular, since Breuning's descriptions are often based on other descriptions and not on real specimens.

In conclusion, using Breuning's keys and description, I can not reach a satisfactory ID. Another thing to be studied...

Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page