1745 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2011 :  12:20:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

A female of some Derolus?
Togo, 14mm.

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2011 :  12:38:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Possible... does it have a longitudinal ridge along the ventral side of the femora?
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2011 :  13:43:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Yes. Difficult to find as the whole body is densly pubescent.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2011 :  13:48:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With those golden spots on the pronotum, it should be Derolus parus Jordan, 1903.
Go to Top of Page

Littlebeetle23
Member Purpuricenus

France
296 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  22:42:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Derolus parus Jordan, 1903 belongs now to the genus Spiniderolus. And this genus is characterized by its very long and slender 3rd antennal segment ended by a tooth. I join a picture of a specimen of this species collected in Ethiopia and identified by K. Adlbauer.
So I think your specimen is a Derolus but not parus.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  08:20:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, Derolus euparus (Aurivillius) belongs to Spiniderolus...
However, thank you very much, since this new picture allows identifying these old pictures. I was uncertain, since the revision by Lepesme & Breuning (1958) wrote about apical spines on the antennomere III and these seemed to me "obtuse strong teeth".
But well: another identified species!

Another problem is that this character is only present in males, while females apparently are "normal" Derolus (this is the raison because I did not agree Adlbauer considered the subgenus Spiniderolus as a genus). However, euparus female is very similar to parus female... did you see peculiar differences?
Go to Top of Page

Littlebeetle23
Member Purpuricenus

France
296 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  09:42:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
In his revision of this genus, Adlbauer (2006) was doubtful about the existence of these 2 distinct species.
Normally the differences between these 2 species are light, smaller size and more slender shape for S. parus.
He concluded by some further studies could synonymize these 2 species.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  10:04:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you!
I do not have this revision. Hence, according to Adlbauer, there is only one species: Spiniderolus parus (Jordan, 1903).
Actually, D. parus was described on the basis of a female...
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  12:02:03  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Dear colleagues,thanks for your discussions.
Can this help? Or does this create more confusion?
A male from the same series, same data.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  12:40:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At this point, I do not know what to say more ... if Mickael could identify it with Adlbauer's keys or scan a copy for us, he will be welcome...
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  12:47:03  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
P.s. The antennomere III of this male is clearly expanded at the internal side without forming an apical spine, while the antennomere IV is normal..
Nonetheless, the antennal proportion are very similar to that of Mickael's species.
In my opinion, Spiniderolus is no subgenus either...
Go to Top of Page

Carlo
Member Rosenbergia

Italy
1138 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  13:06:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Bonjour Pierre
Est ce que tu est sûr que ton spécimen soit un mâle? Les antennes semblent très courtes
Ciao
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  14:55:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Carlo, j'ai le même doute. Surtout que je viens de recevoir dans un arrivage du Togo un spécimen "mâle" bien plus mâle que celui-ci: antennes beaucoup plus longues que le corps.
J'ajouterai la photo dès que la bête sera prête. Peut-être cette fois on y verra plus clair!
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  15:45:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Böh... selon les données de la monographie de Lepesme & Breuning (1958) parus (type à Paris) avait un range de 9.5-17 mm, tandis que euparius (type a Stockholm?) était parmi 12 et 27 mm.
Peut-être que la dimension de l'épine (ainsi comme la longueur des antennes) dépende de la longueur du corps... de toute façon je ne suis pas de tout convaincu de cette systématique...
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  22:09:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Well, this time we got it. A male, a real!
Same location than the females, 16mm.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  19:32:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is really a male of Spinederolus!
According to the characters Mickael quoted in order to distinguish parus from euparius, it should be S. parus... a species well different from S. euparius!
Desolé... mais si Adlbauer pense qu'il sont la même espèce, il me semble qu'il se trompe...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page