| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  06:36:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Dear colleagues,
in order to have a better view on the distribution of the different items of the genus Amphionthe Bates (Trachyderini), I would be interested in knowing the data of what you might have in your collections.
Many thanks!! Pierre

Edited by - Pierre on 18/10/2019 06:37:23

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  14:58:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre, I have 4 Amphionthe from Panama. My colleagues are not sure which species it is. All of the descriptions are too poor to make any distinctions. There may only be 2 or 3 good species, or there could be many.
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  17:42:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Dear Dan, I totally agree with your statement: the actual 6 taxons of Amphionthe do not inspire a good feeling. My guess is that we have 2, perhaps 3 good species, but not more.
I think your specimen are of the banded elytra - type (?). The colour of the legs is in my opinion not a useful argument.
Go to Top of Page

Capitaine
Scientific Collaborator

France
1834 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  17:44:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Bonjour Pierre, je dispose d'un couple (23/21mm) d'Amphionthe dejeani de Iracoubo / Guyanne Française

Claude
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  17:59:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Merci, Claude. Oui, les provenances guyanaises sont les plus régulièrement répertoriées en ce moment. Logique, avec tout ce qu'on a chassé ces dernières années en Guyane... il est intéressant de voir arriver ici et là des bêtes du style dejeani en provenances de quelques stations du Pérou, ce qui fait déjà une donne "inconnue".
Go to Top of Page

dryobius
Member Rosenbergia

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  19:02:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I would not refer to the elytra as "banded". "Banded" typically means transverse markings. My specimens have longitudinal dark areas, much like "dejeani". Achard's paper (1913) on Amphionthe is available on Biodiversity Heritage Library. It seems possible that males and females could have been described as different species. In 1929, Schwarzer describes A. caudalis from one female (possibly the male was described earlier). Unless you have numerous specimens and all the types available for study, I don't believe it is possible to make positive identification.
Go to Top of Page

Pierre
Member Rosenbergia

Switzerland
1745 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  20:13:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Sorry for my bad use of the english language... yes, "banded" was for those with longitudinal dark areas.
I have Achard, Gounelle and Schwarzer. It is evident that these papers have become totally obsolete and are not able to clarify the situation. Such as you say, impossible ot go ahead without more materials.
The topic of this post here is modest... just a gathering of locations...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page