Author Previous Topic Topic   

Zhu
Member Demonax

China
79 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 :  07:05:07  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

Dear Dr. Vitali:
Sorry to bother you again.
Last time you help id. the Trigonoptera species.
This time we Chinese quarantiners intercepted an unusual large lamininae beetle, long about 4 cm.
Could you pls help identify this seemingly economically important one?

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  18:28:05  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Colleague, I am always happy to hear you. This beetle seems to me Phryneta leprosa (Fabricius, 1775), a species that is also present in the gallery.
This species has a large African distribution and it has already been introduced in Malta since 2003, where it attacks cultivated broadleaf-trees.
It is also mentioned as pest in
this official document.
Go to Top of Page

Zhu
Member Demonax

China
79 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  02:17:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
That is so great. It could have taken me for months to identify this kind of beetle. First I thought it might be Dihammus, or Epepeotes, or what ever... But none seems to match with the specimen. What is it, there is so many confused Laminines. I felt like see it once, but I lost it somewhere.I have many other specimens from Africa and PNG, I will post later. But wait a minuter, this seem to only live in Africa,but my colleague told me to find it on PNG logs,they must make mistake,right?
Go to Top of Page

Zhu
Member Demonax

China
79 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  02:24:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Sorry, it is from Africa, Gabon.
I was too excited when I see the big beetle.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  17:01:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Lamiinae are in a very confusing situation, partially also due to the great number of species... Nonetheless, Lamiini (as Dihammus or Epepeotes) are distinguishable for a ridge on the apex of the first antennal joint, while Phrynetini are deprived of it. Under other aspects they are actually very similar... Thank you for the news: Gabon was not among the already recorded localities, though it is located in the areal of this species.
Go to Top of Page

Zhu
Member Demonax

China
79 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2008 :  02:16:06  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the very useful tips though I have noticed that the antenna scape is smooth on the Phryneta while the Lamiini is ridged at the apex. However, I have no idea that character is the key to seperate.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page