Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Les
Member Purpuricenus

Thailand
106 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  07:57:03  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote

This appeared on my patio on Samui last night.
I see that there are pics of this here so I thought you may like to see it.
Side view available is wanted.
Antennohyllisia rondoni? I think I have the ID right.

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  22:10:02  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your picture.
This cerambycid belongs surely to the Agapanthiini, but it seems to be a representative of the genus Tetraglenes, maybe T. hirticornis, which is present in Thailand.
Antennohyllisia should be have a fairly different aspect.
Go to Top of Page

Les
Member Purpuricenus

Thailand
106 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  00:49:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply. I got my identification from the book 'Beetles of Thailand'. My specimen looks identical to what is shown on page 408. I am somewhat confused now.
Go to Top of Page

Les
Member Purpuricenus

Thailand
106 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  01:01:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Further to the above note, I have just looked on the Lamiaires du Monde website for both Thailand and Malay Peninsular (I live at the meeting point of Indo-China and Sundaland and so have representatives of both faunal regions) and can not find either species listed!
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  10:24:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The genus Antennohyllisia is a subgenus of Hyllisia.
This genus is also widespread in Africa and it has this aspect.
The species I linked you as Antennohyllisia is surely misidentified. In fact, you can observe a cicatrix on the first antennal joint, which indicates the tribe Lamiini.

However, Hyllisia is a true Agapanthiini, while Tetraglenes belongs to these genera as Spalocopsis, Eucomatocera or Hypamazso, which once belonged to the tribe Spalacopsini.
Lamiaires du Monde, as many other catalogs in the Web, is a good idea but it is not complete: the book of the Chinese Cerambycids quotes Tetraglenes hiirticornis from Thailand and I himself have got in my collection two specimens from North Thailand: Nikom Phasang.
Go to Top of Page

Francesco
Forum Admin

Luxembourg
9402 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  12:09:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Francesco's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Dear Les, I have found the picture of the holotype of Antennohyllisia rondoni Breuning, 1963 from Laos (at left).
Despite its name and many erroneous pictures present in the Web, this species is very close to Tetraglenes. Surely, it is no subgenus of Hyllisia, as Lamiaires du Monde claims.
According to Breuning, Antennohyllisia differs from Tetraglenes only in the throughout fringed antennae (smooth or fringed on one side in Tetraglenes).
Hence, your insect really belongs to Tetraglenes. By using the keys of Breuning's monograph, it corresponds to Tetraglenes hirticornis (Fabricius, 1798), a species described from Eastern India but widespread in South-eastern Asia.
Go to Top of Page

Les
Member Purpuricenus

Thailand
106 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  03:49:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the time you have put in to identify this species.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Cerambycoidea Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page